Trade Creation And Trade Diversion Under Mercorsur: A Global Intertemporal General Equilibrium Analysis
AbstractA multi-region, multi-sector global intertemporal general equilibrium model is constructed to analyze dynamic adjustments following the establishment of the Southern Common Market (MERCOSUR). The study focuses on regional trade integration effects as well as third party spillover effects. By taking into account both transitional and steady state adjustments in consumption, production, and investments, we observe significant shifts of trade diversion away from the non-member trading partners to the member countries. We also find that, following the MERCOSUR's common external tariffication, growth of intra trade would likely be accompanied by increases in trade between Mercosur and other countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 13977.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mercenier, J. & Da Conceicao Sampaio De Souza, M., 1991.
"Structural Adjustment And Growth In A Highy Indebted Market Economy: Brazil,"
Cahiers de recherche
9103, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Mercenier, J. & Da Conceicao Sampaio de Souza, M., 1991. "Structural Adjustment and Growth in a Highy Indebted Market Economy: Brazil," Cahiers de recherche 9103, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Adams, F. Gerard & Park, I., 1995. "Measuring the impact of AFTA: An application of a linked CGE system," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 325-365, August.
- Goulder, Lawrence H. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1989.
"Tax policy, asset prices, and growth : A general equilibrium analysis,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 265-296, April.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Tax Policy, Asset Prices, and Growth: A General Equilibrium Analysis," NBER Working Papers 2128, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mercenier, Jean & Yeldan, Erinc, 1997.
"On Turkey's trade policy: Is a customs union with Europe enough?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 871-880, April.
- J. Mercenier & Erinç Yeldan, 1996. "On Turkey's Trade Policy : Is A Customs Union with Europe Enough?," Departmental Working Papers 964, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Mercenier, Jean, 1995. "Can "1992" reduce unemployment in Europe? On welfare and employment effects of Europe's move to a single market," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-37, February.
- Mercenier, Jean & Michel, Philippe, 1994. "Discrete-Time Finite Horizon Appromixation of Infinite Horizon Optimization Problems with Steady-State Invariance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 635-56, May.
- Go, Delfin S., 1994. "External shocks, adjustment policies and investment in a developing economy: Illustrations from a forward-looking CGE model of the Philippines," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 229-261, August.
- Elshennawy, Abeer & Robinson, Sherman & Willenbockel, Dirk, 2013. "Climate Change and Economic Growth: An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Analysis for Egypt," MPRA Paper 47703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elshennawy, Abeer, 2013. "The Euro-Mediterranean free trade agreement and the cost of tariff liberalization in Egypt," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 326-338.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.