Voting on Open Space: An Analysis of the Decision to Hold a Referendum and of Referendum Results
AbstractA modified version of this article has been published in the May 2007 issue of the journal Ecological Economics. This paper presents the first comprehensive analysis of municipal-level open space referenda, both the decision to hold a referendum and referendum results, across the entire contiguous United States. We find that municipalities populated by more educated, environmentally aware and politically left-leaning people and that experienced substantial population growth in surrounding areas were more likely to hold open space referenda than other municipalities. Overall, there are fewer statistically significant relationships in the referenda results estimation than in the selection estimation. Referenda support was significantly affected only by the finance mechanism, unemployment rate, education and region dummy variables. We find limited evidence of selection bias in the estimated referenda results equations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 13837.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Land Economics/Use; Public Economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elizabeth Marshall, 2004. "Open-Space Amenities, Interacting Agents, and Equilibrium Landscape Structure," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 80(2), pages 272-293.
- Vossler, Christian A. & Kerkvliet, Joe, 2003. "A criterion validity test of the contingent valuation method: comparing hypothetical and actual voting behavior for a public referendum," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 631-649, May.
- Matthew Turner, 2003.
"Landscape Preferences and Patterns of Residential Development,"
mturner-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Turner, Matthew A., 2005. "Landscape preferences and patterns of residential development," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 19-54, January.
- Ray C. Fair, 1976.
"The Effects of Economic Events on Votes for President,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
418, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Fair, Ray C, 1978. "The Effect of Economic Events on Votes for President," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 159-73, May.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A. & Kiewiet, Roderick D. & Noussair, Charles N., 1991.
"Voting on Growth Control Measures: Preferences and Strategies,"
777, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Jeffrey A. Dubin & D. Roderick Kiewiet & Charles Noussair, 1992. "Voting On Growth Control Measures: Preferences And Strategies," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 191-213, 07.
- Noussair, C.N. & Dubin , Y. & Kiewiet, D.R., 1992. "Voting on growth control measures: Preferences and strategies," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-381125, Tilburg University.
- Matthew J. Kotchen & Shawn M. Powers, 2004.
"Explaining The Appearance and Success of Voter Referenda For Open-Space Conservation,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2004-06, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Kotchen, Matthew J. & Powers, Shawn M., 2006. "Explaining the appearance and success of voter referenda for open-space conservation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 373-390, July.
- Khan, M. & Matsusaka, J.G., 1995.
"Demand for Environment Goods: Evidence from Voting Patterns on California Initiatives,"
1995_08, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Kahn, Matthew E & Matsusaka, John G, 1997. "Demand for Environmental Goods: Evidence from Voting Patterns on California Initiatives," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(1), pages 137-73, April.
- Deacon, Robert T & Shapiro, Perry, 1975. "Private Preference for Collective Goods Revealed Through Voting on Referenda," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 943-55, December.
- Michael Howell-Moroney, 2004. "What Are the Determinants of Open-Space Ballot Measures? An Extension of the Research," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 85(1), pages 169-179.
- Philippe Thalmann, 2004. "The Public Acceptance of Green Taxes: 2 Million Voters Express Their Opinion," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 119(1_2), pages 179-217, 04.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Jeffrey Kline & Dennis Wichelns, 1994. "Using Referendum Data to Characterize Public Support for Purchasing Development Rights to Farmland," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 223-233.
- Elena G. Irwin & Nancy E. Bockstael, 2001. "The Problem of Identifying Land Use Spillovers: Measuring the Effects of Open Space on Residential Property Values," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 698-704.
- Fischel, William A., 1979. "Determinants of voting on environmental quality: A study of a New Hampshire pulp mill referendum," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 107-118, June.
- Bucholtz, Shawn & Geoghegan, Jacqueline & Lynch, Lori, 2003. "Capitalization of Open Spaces into Housing Values and the Residential Property Tax Revenue Impacts of Agricultural Easement Programs," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 32(1), April.
- Felix Schläpfer & Nick Hanley, 2003. "Do Local Landscape Patterns Affect the Demand for Landscape Amenities Protection?," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 21-34.
- Elena G. Irwin, 2002. "The Effects of Open Space on Residential Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(4), pages 465-480.
- Ed Balsdon, 2007. "Property Value Capitalization And Municipal Open Space Referenda," Working Papers 0019, San Diego State University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.