Risk measurement: an introduction to value at risk
AbstractThis paper is a self-contained introduction to the concept and methodology of "value at risk," which is a new tool for measuring an entity's exposure to market risk. We explain the concept of value at risk, and then describe in detail the three methods for computing it: historical simulation; the variance-covariance method; and Monte Carlo or stochastic simulation. We then discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the three methods for computing value at risk. Finally, we briefly describe some alternative measures of market risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics in its series ACE Reports with number 14796.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 326 Mumford Hall, MC-710, 1301 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, Illinois, 61801
Phone: (217) 333-1810
Fax: (217) 333-5538
Web page: http://www.ace.uiuc.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Risk and Uncertainty;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Billio, Monica & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2000. "Value-at-Risk: a multivariate switching regime approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 531-554, December.
- Yass A. Alkafaji & Nauzer Balsara & Judith N. Aburmishan, 2006. "FASB’s Statement No. 133 on Derivatives and Barings Bank: The Case for Value at Risk (VAR)," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 94-104, September.
- Basak, Suleyman & Shapiro, Alexander, 2001.
"Value-at-Risk-Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 371-405.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, . "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 06-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, . "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 6-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Suleyman Basak & Alexander Shapiro, 1999. "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-032, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Xiongwei Ju & Neil D. Pearson, 1998. "Using Value-at-Risk to Control Risk Taking: How Wrong Can you Be?," Finance 9810002, EconWPA.
- Rifki Ismal, 2010. "Volatility of the returns and expected losses of Islamic bank financing," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 267-279, August.
- Wallace, Garry E. & Samsul Huda, A.K., 2005. "Using climate information to approximate the value at risk of a forward contracted canola crop," AFBM Journal, Australasian Farm Business Management Network, vol. 2(1).
- Mark R. Manfredo. & Raymond M. Leuthold, 1999. "Market Risk Measurement and the Cattle Feeding Margin: An Application of Value-at-Risk," Finance 9908002, EconWPA.
- Karoline Terán Matamoros & Oscar Molina Tejerina, 2005. "Simulación eficiente del valor de riesgo de un portafolio de acciones del IPSA: Un análisis de componentes principales," InvestigaciÃ³n & Desarrollo 0205, Universidad Privada Boliviana, revised Mar 2005.
- Rossignolo, Adrian F. & Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Shaban, Mohamed, 2012. "Value-at-Risk models and Basel capital charges," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 303-319.
- Michael G. Papaioannou, 2006. "A Primer for Risk Measurement of Bonded Debt From the Perspective of a Sovereign Debt Manager," IMF Working Papers 06/195, International Monetary Fund.
- Mark R. Manfredo & Raymond M. Leuthold, 1998. "Agricultural Applications of Value-at-Risk Analysis: A Perspective," Finance 9805002, EconWPA.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.