Cross-Hedging Cottonseed Meal
AbstractThis study examines the feasibility of cross-hedging cottonseed meal with soybean meal futures. The Bayesian tests for market efficiency on the cash and futures price data soundly rejects the presence of nonstationary root. The simple linear regression of cottonseed meal cash prices on soybean meal futures provides a direct price movement relationship. Using the estimated hedge-ratios, the net realized prices are calculated for seven different cash markets. The net realized prices exhibit risk efficiency superior to cash pricing. The empirical analyses suggest that soybean meal futures can be used as a potential cross-hedging vehicle for cottonseed meal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics in its series Faculty Series with number 16707.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Conner Hall, Athens, GA 30602
Phone: (706) 542-2481
Fax: (706) 542-0739
Web page: http://www.caes.uga.edu/departments/agecon/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Jiang, Bingrong & Lence, Sergio H., 1996.
"Improving Wholesale Beef and Pork Product Cross Hedging,"
Staff General Research Papers
5004, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Marvin L. Hayenga & Bingrong Jiang & Sergio H. Lence, 1996. "Improving wholesale beef and pork product cross hedging," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 541-559.
- DeJong, David N., 1992. "Co-integration and trend-stationarity in macroeconomic time series : Evidence from the likelihood function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 347-370, June.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1981. "Cross Hedging," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1182-96, December.
- Castelino, Mark G & Francis, Jack C & Wolf, Avner, 1991. "Cross-Hedging: Basis Risk and Choice of the Optimal Hedging Vehicle," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 26(2), pages 179-210, May.
- Roger A. Dahlgran, 2000. "Cross-hedging the cottonseed crush: A case study," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 141-158.
- Heifner, Richard G., 1972. "Optimal Hedging Levels and Hedging Effectiveness in Cattle Feeding," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 2.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2002. "Inventory And Transformation Risks In Soybean Processing," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19054, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2005. "Hedging Cash Flows from Commodity Processing," 2005 Conference, April 18-19, 2005, St. Louis, Missouri 19046, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Parcell, Joseph L., 2002. "Cash Ethanol Cross-Hedging Opportunities," Working Papers 26035, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Adams, Zeno & Gerner, Mathias, 2012. "Cross hedging jet-fuel price exposure," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1301-1309.
- Dahlgran, Roger A. & Ma, Xudong, 2008. "Hedge Effectiveness Forecasting," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37604, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Quintino, Derick David & David, Sergio Adriani, 2013. "Quantitative analysis of feasibility of hydrous ethanol futures contracts in Brazil," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 927-935.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2007. "Inventory and Transformation Hedging Effectiveness in Corn Crushing," 2007 Conference, April 16-17, 2007, Chicago, Illinois 37557, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.