Cross-Hedging Cottonseed Meal
AbstractThis study examines the feasibility of cross-hedging cottonseed meal with soybean meal futures. The Bayesian tests for market efficiency on the cash and futures price data soundly rejects the presence of nonstationary root. The simple linear regression of cottonseed meal cash prices on soybean meal futures provides a direct price movement relationship. Using the estimated hedge-ratios, the net realized prices are calculated for seven different cash markets. The net realized prices exhibit risk efficiency superior to cash pricing. The empirical analyses suggest that soybean meal futures can be used as a potential cross-hedging vehicle for cottonseed meal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics in its series Faculty Series with number 16707.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Conner Hall, Athens, GA 30602
Phone: (706) 542-2481
Fax: (706) 542-0739
Web page: http://www.caes.uga.edu/departments/agecon/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Jiang, Bingrong & Lence, Sergio H., 1996.
"Improving Wholesale Beef and Pork Product Cross Hedging,"
Staff General Research Papers
5004, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Marvin L. Hayenga & Bingrong Jiang & Sergio H. Lence, 1996. "Improving wholesale beef and pork product cross hedging," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 541-559.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1981. "Cross Hedging," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1182-96, December.
- DeJong, David N., 1992. "Co-integration and trend-stationarity in macroeconomic time series : Evidence from the likelihood function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 347-370, June.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2007. "Inventory and Transformation Hedging Effectiveness in Corn Crushing," 2007 Conference, April 16-17, 2007, Chicago, Illinois 37557, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Dahlgran, Roger A. & Ma, Xudong, 2008. "Hedge Effectiveness Forecasting," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37604, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Parcell, Joseph L., 2002. "Cash Ethanol Cross-Hedging Opportunities," Working Papers 26035, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2005. "Hedging Cash Flows from Commodity Processing," 2005 Conference, April 18-19, 2005, St. Louis, Missouri 19046, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2002. "Inventory And Transformation Risks In Soybean Processing," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19054, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.