Rural Wealth Creation Concepts, Strategies, and Measures
AbstractThis report presents a conceptual framework for rural wealth creation, drawing upon the U.S. and international development literature. The framework emphasizes the importance of multiple types of assets (physical, fi nancial, human, intellectual, natural, social, political, and cultural capital) and the economic, institutional, and policy context in which rural wealth strategies are devised. The report discusses the role of wealth creation in the rural development process, how wealth can be created in rural communities, and how its accumulation and effects can be measured.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Economic Research Report with number 121860.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
wealth creation; rural development; regional development; community economic development; sustainable development; livelihoods; wealth indicators; conceptual framework; Community/Rural/Urban Development;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McGranahan, David A. & Wojan, Timothy R., 2007. "The Creative Class: A Key to Rural Growth," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, April.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Gasper A. Garofalo & Steven Yamarik, 2002. "Regional Convergence: Evidence From A New State-By-State Capital Stock Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 316-323, May.
- Kenneth J. Arrow, Stanford University & Partha Dasgupta, University of Cambridge. & Lawrence H. Goulder, 2010.
"Sustainability and the Measurement of Wealth,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
369, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- McGranahan, David A. & Cromartie, John & Wojan, Timothy R., 2010. "Nonmetropolitan Outmigration Counties: Some Are Poor, Many Are Prosperous," Economic Research Report 96769, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Mitch Renkow, 2003. "Employment Growth, Worker Mobility, and Rural Economic Development," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 503-513.
- Goetz, Stephan J. & Partridge, Mark D. & Deller, Steven C. & Fleming, David A., 2010. "Evaluating U.S. Rural Entrepreneurship Policy," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 40(1).
- David A. McGranahan & Timothy R. Wojan & Dayton M. Lambert, 2011. "The rural growth trifecta: outdoor amenities, creative class and entrepreneurial context -super-�," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 529-557, May.
- Reeder, Richard J., 1998. "Retiree-Attraction Policies for Rural Development," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33667, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Cromartie, John & Nelson, Peter, 2009. "Baby Boom Migration and Its Impact on Rural America," Economic Research Report 55947, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Emery N. Castle, 1998. "A Conceptual Framework for the Study of Rural Places," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 621-631.
- Imbens, Guido & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Scholarly Articles 3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- McGranahan, David A., 1999. "Natural Amenities Drive Rural Population Change," Agricultural Economics Reports 33955, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Chad R. Wilkerson & Megan D. Williams, 2011. "Booms and busts in household wealth: implications for Tenth District states," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II.
- World Bank, 2011. "The Changing Wealth of Nations : Measuring Sustainable Development in the New Millennium," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2252.
- Jones, Carol Adaire & Parker, Timothy S. & Ahearn, Mary Clare & Mishra, Ashok K. & Variyam, Jayachandran N., 2009. "Health Status and Health Care Access of Farm and Rural Populations," Economic Information Bulletin 54430, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Rupasingha, Anil & Goetz, Stephan J., 2007. "Social and political forces as determinants of poverty: A spatial analysis," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 650-671, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.