Research Investments and Market Structure in the Food Processing, Agricultural Input, and Biofuel Industries Worldwide
AbstractMeeting growing global demand for food, fiber, and biofuel requires robust investment in agricultural research and development (R&D) from both public and private sectors. This study examines global R&D spending by private industry in seven agricultural input sectors, food manufacturing, and biofuel and describes the changing structure of these industries. In 2007 (the latest year for which comprehensive estimates are available), the private sector spent $19.7 billion on food and agricultural research (56 percent in food manufacturing and 44 percent in agricultural input sectors) and accounted for about half of total public and private spending on food and agricultural R&D in high-income countries. In R&D related to biofuel, annual private-sector investments are estimated to have reached $1.47 billion worldwide by 2009. Incentives to invest in R&D are influenced by market structure and other factors. Agricultural input industries have undergone significant structural change over the past two decades, with industry concentration on the rise. A relatively small number of large, multinational firms with global R&D and marketing networks account for most R&D in each input industry. Rising market concentration has not generally been associated with increased R&D investment as a percentage of industry sales.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Economic Research Report with number 120324.
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
agricultural biotechnology; agricultural chemicals; agricultural inputs; animal breeding; animal health; animal nutrition; aquaculture; biofuel; concentration ratio; crop breeding; crop protection; farm machinery; fertilizers; Herfindahl index; globalization; market share; market structure; research intensity; seed improvement; Productivity Analysis;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-02-20 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2012-02-20 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deepak Rajagopal & Steve Sexton & Gal Hochman & David Zilberman, 2009. "Recent Developments in Renewable Technologies: R&D Investment in Advanced Biofuels," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 621-644, 09.
- Julian M. Alston & Philip G. Pardey, 2014. "Agriculture in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 28(1), pages 121-46, Winter.
- Tokgoz, Simla & Fuglie, Keith, 2013. "Public Policy, Induced Innovation, and Private Research: The Case of Agriculture," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149613, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Nelson, Gerald C. & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2014. "Public sector agricultural research priorities for sustainable food security: Perspectives from plausible scenarios:," IFPRI discussion papers 1339, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jin, Yu & Huffman, Wallace E., 2013. "Reduced U.S. Funding of Public Agricultural Research and Extension Risks Lowering Future Agricultural Productivity Growth Prospects," Staff General Research Papers 36796, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Briones, Roehlano M., 2013.
"The Structure of Agricultural Trade Industry in Developing Countries,"
DP 2013-15, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Roehlano M. Briones, 2013. "The Structure of Agricultural Trade Industry in Developing Countries," Trade Working Papers 23420, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Salvatore Ceccarelli, 2014. "GM Crops, Organic Agriculture and Breeding for Sustainability," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(7), pages 4273-4286, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.