Effects of Tariff Liberalization due to EU Accession on Slovak Agricultural Trade
AbstractThe paper analyzes the changes in agricultural trade patterns in Slovakia that occured during the gradual trade liberalization due to European Union enlargement in 2004. The results indicate that approximately 30% of the increase in agricultural imports from the EU15 and CEECs between 2000 and 2005 was due to the discriminatory trade liberalization between Slovakia and the EU15 and CEECs, i.e. due to the formation of a customs union. Part of the increase in agricultural trade with the EU15 and CEECs was at the expense of trade with more efficient producers from the rest of the world, i.e. there is an indication that some trade diversion could have occurred. The second wave of agricultural trade liberalization (from 2002 onward) brought about greater effects in terms of the increase in agricultural imports from the EU15 and CEECs than was the case with the first wave.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements in its series Working Papers with number 6820.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://tradeag.vitamib.com/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, L. Alan, 1999.
"Regionalism in the Nineties: What Effect on Trade?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2183, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Alan Wintersb, L., 2001. "Regionalism in the nineties: what effect on trade?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffernmayr, 2002.
"The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade,"
- Peter H. Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2013. "The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(6), pages 701-712, 06.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Central and Eastern Europe," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48385, World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.