A Consistent Picture of Applied Protection Across the World
AbstractIn order to provide with a consistent assessment of protection across the world in 2001, the MAcMap-HS6 database includes ad valorem equivalent measure of tariff duties and tariff rate quotas for 163 countries and 208 partners, at the six-digit level of the Harmonized System (5,111 products), and accounting for all preferential agreements. We first describe the methodology used to compute and aggregate ad valorem-equivalent applied tariff duties, well suited for analytical purposes. Special emphasis is put in minimizing the endogeneity bias in the aggregation procedure, and in acknowledging structural differences in export specialization. We then overview applied protection across the world, in terms of average as well as distribution. Protection appears strongly uneven across countries and products. Least developed countries are in average the most protected. While developed countries exhibit the lowest average tariff level, their protection appears extremely uneven across both partners and products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements in its series Working Papers with number 18859.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://tradeag.vitamib.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bouët, Antoine & Laborde Debucquet, David & Dienesch, Elisa & Elliot, Kimberly, 2010. "The costs and benefits of duty-free, quota-free market access for poor countries," IFPRI discussion papers 990, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bouet, Antoine & Laborde, David, 2008.
"The potential cost of a failed Doha Round:,"
56, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Antoine BOUET & David LABORDE, 2009. "The potential cost of a Failed Doha Round," Working Papers 2, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Jul 2009.
- Bouet, Antoine & Debucquet, David Laborde, 2009. "The potential cost of a failed doha round:," IFPRI discussion papers 886, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Narayanan, Badri & Hertel, Thomas & Horridge, Mark, 2009.
"Disaggregated Data and Trade Policy Analysis: The Value of Linking Partial and General Equilibrium Models,"
GTAP Working Papers
3162, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Narayanan, Badri G. & Hertel, Thomas W. & Horridge, J. Mark, 2010. "Disaggregated data and trade policy analysis: The value of linking partial and general equilibrium models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 755-766, May.
- Bouet, Antoine & Laborde Debucquet, David, 2010. "Eight years of Doha trade talks," IFPRI discussion papers 997, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Cardamone, Paola & Scoppola, Margherita, 2012.
"Trade costs and the pattern of Foreign Direct Investment: evidence from five EU countries,"
123993, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Cardamone, Paola & Scoppola, Margherita, 2012. "Trade costs and the pattern of Foreign Direct Investment: evidence from five EU countries," Congress Papers 124106, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Bouet, Antoine & Laborde, David, 2010.
"Eight Years of Doha Trade Talks: Where Do We Stand?,"
eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 11(2).
- Antoine Bouet & David Laborde, 2010. "Eight years of Doha trade talks : where do we stand," Working Papers hal-00637589, HAL.
- Antoine Bouet, 2010.
"Assessing the potential cost of a failed Doha round,"
- BOUET, ANTOINE & Laborde, David, 2010. "Assessing the potential cost of a failed Doha Round," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 319-351, April.
- Shepherd, Ben, 2008.
"Geographical Diversification of Developing Country Exports,"
11267, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- shepherd, Ben, 2010. "Geographical Diversification of Developing Country Exports," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 1217-1228, September.
- Bouet, Antoine & Laborde Debucquet, David, 2010. "Economics of export taxation in a context of food crisis," IFPRI discussion papers 994, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.