Performance in the Food Retailing Segment of the Agri-Food Chain
AbstractThis paper sets out to measure the performance of the food-retailing sector of the Canadian economy for the period 1990 to 1998. This study was undertaken to provide a baseline study for the sector due to the major changes that took place after 1998. A second driver was to provide recent information on the sector as the last study of this type was conducted in the 1970s. The paper uses profitability as a measure of performance. The measure was chosen because most firms make business decisions based on their profitability, and profitability provides an indication on the direction of employment, investment, and growth of a sector. We find that that food retailing performed better than both non-food retailers and the general economy over the 1990s. While large retailers performed twice as well as small and medium retailers the latter categories performed better than their non-food counterparts over the period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Statistics Canada in its series Agriculture and Rural Working Paper Series with number 28028.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giraud-Heraud, Eric & Soler, Louis-Georges & Tanguy, Herve, 1999. "Avoiding Double Marginalisation in Agro-Food Chains," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 179-98, June.
- Richard J. Sexton, 2000. "Industrialization and Consolidation in the U.S. Food Sector: Implications for Competition and Welfare," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1087-1104.
- Larson, Ronald B., 1997. "Key Developments In The Food Distribution System," Working Papers 14350, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Paul R. Messinger & Chakravarthi Narasimhan, 1995. "Has Power Shifted in the Grocery Channel?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(2), pages 189-223.
- Kinsey, Jean D., 1998. "Concentration Of Ownership In Food Retailing: A Review Of The Evidence About Consumer Impact," Working Papers 14329, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 2000. "Dynamic Explanations of Industry Structure and Performance," Research Reports 25224, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 2000. "Dynamic Explanations of Industry Structure and Performance," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 053, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.