An Empirical Analysis of County-Level Determinants of Small Business Growth Poverty in Appalachia: A Spatial Simultaneous-Equations Approach
AbstractIn this paper we develop an autoregressive spatial simultaneous equations model to investigate the county-level determinants of small business growth and median household income in Appalachia during the period 1990-2000. Our GS2SLS and GS3SLS estimation results indicate significant spatial spillover effects and conditional convergence in counties of Appalachia during the study period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida with number 35465.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Community/Rural/Urban Development; Food Security and Poverty;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Johnson & Simon Parker, 1996. "Spatial Variations in the Determinants and Effects of Firm Births and Deaths," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 679-688.
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert & Davidson, Russell, 1983.
"Tests for model specification in the presence of alternative hypotheses : Some further results,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 53-70, January.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981. "Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses: Some Further Results," Working Papers 430, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Greenwood, Michael J & Hunt, Gary L, 1984. "Migration and Interregional Employment Redistribution in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 957-69, December.
- Steven C. Deller & Tsung-Hsiu (Sue) Tsai & David W. Marcouiller & Donald B.K. English, 2001. "The Role of Amenities and Quality of Life In Rural Economic Growth," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 352-365.
- Kari Hämäläinen & Petri Böckerman, 2004.
"Regional Labor Market Dynamics, Housing, and Migration,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 543-568.
- Kari Hämäläinen & Petri Böckerman, 2002. "Regional Labour Market Dynamics, Housing and Migration," Discussion Papers 284, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Highfield, Richard & Smiley, Robert, 1987. "New business starts and economic activity : An empirical investigation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 51-66, March.
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Scheinkman, JoseA. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1995.
"Economic growth in a cross-section of cities,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 117-143, August.
- Glaeser, E.L. & Scheinkman, J.A., 1993. "Economic Growth in a Cross-Section of Cities," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1645, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1995. "Economic Growth in a Cross-Section of Cities," NBER Working Papers 5013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:hoo:wpaper:e-95-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Segarra-Blasco, Agusti & Callejon, Maria, 2000.
"Geographical Determinants Of The Creation Of Manufacturing Firms: The Regions Of Spain,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa00p300, European Regional Science Association.
- Agusti Segarra Blasco & Maria Remedios Callejon Fornieles, 2001. "Geographical determinants of the creation of manufacturing firms: The regions of Spain," Working Papers in Economics 68, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Acs, Zoltan J. & Armington, Catherine, 2004.
"The impact of geographic differences in human capital on service firm formation rates,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 244-278, September.
- Zoltan J. Acs & Catherine Armington, 2004. "The Impact of Geographic Differences in Human Capital on Service Firm Formation Rates," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-15, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Duffy-Deno, Kevin T. & Eberts, Randall W., 1991.
"Public infrastructure and regional economic development: A simultaneous equations approach,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 329-343, November.
- Kevin T. Duffy-Deno & Randall W. Eberts, 1989. "Public infrastructure and regional economic development: a simultaneous equations approach," Working Paper 8909, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Lundberg, Johan, 2003. "On the Determinants of Average Income Growth and Net Migration at the Municipal Level in Sweden," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 33(2), pages 229-53.
- Thomas Aronsson & Johan Lundberg & Magnus Wikstrom, 2001. "Regional Income Growth and Net Migration in Sweden, 1970-1995," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 823-830.
- repec:fth:stanho:e-95-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Georgios Fotopoulos & Nigel Spence, 1999. "Spatial Variations in New Manufacturing Plant Openings: Some Empirical Evidence from Greece," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 219-229.
- Aki Kangasharju, 2000. "Regional variations in firm formation: Panel and cross-section data evidence from Finland," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 79(4), pages 355-373.
- Rupasingha, Anil & Goetz, Stephan J., 2004. "County Amenities and Net Migration," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 33(2), October.
- Kelly D. Edmiston, 2004. "The Net Effects of Large Plant Locations and Expansions on County Employment," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 289-320.
- Ronald C. Fisher, 1997. "Effects of state and local public services on economic development," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Mar, pages 53-82.
- Michael Fritsch & Oliver Falck, 2003. "New Firm Formation by Industry over Space and Time: A Multi-Level Analysis," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 322, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2004. "Estimation of simultaneous systems of spatially interrelated cross sectional equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1-2), pages 27-50.
- Todd M. Gabe & Kathleen P. Bell, 2004. "Tradeoffs between Local Taxes and Government Spending as Determinants of Business Location," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 21-41.
- Persson, Joakim, 1997. "Convergence across the Swedish counties, 1911-1993," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1835-1852, December.
- Mills, Edwin S. & Price, Richard, 1984. "Metropolitan suburbanization and central city problems," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-17, January.
- D.B. Audretsch & M.A. Carree & A.J. van Stel & A.R. Thurik, 2000.
"Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-095/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Audretsch, David B, et al, 2002. "Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 81-97.
- Audretsch, David B. & Carree, Martin A. & van Stel, André J. & Thurik, A. Roy, 2000. "Impeded industrial restructuring : the growth penalty," HWWA Discussion Papers 114, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Audretsch, David B & Thurik, A R Roy, 2000. "Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty," CEPR Discussion Papers 2648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hailu, Yohannes G. & Brown, Cheryl, 2007. "Regional Growth Impacts on Agricultural Land Development: A Spatial Model for Three States," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.