A New Taxonomy of Thin Markets
AbstractThe traditional conception of a thin market based on transactions volume remains relevant in many agricultural markets but does not adequately frame emerging thin market issues. As non-price means of pricing goods becomes more common, some cash commodity markets have become residual markets. In some of these markets, not only the volume of transactions but also the representativeness of transactions to those on the related contract market is an important issue. This paper develops a concept of thin markets that accounts for this dimension of market thinness and proposes a research agenda related to this topic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama with number 34826.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ward, Clement E. & Koontz, Stephen R. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1998. "Impacts From Captive Supplies On Fed Cattle Transaction Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- John R. Schroeter & Azzeddine Azzam, 2004.
"Captive supplies and cash market prices for fed cattle: The role of delivery timing incentives,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 347-362.
- Schroeter, John R. & Azzam, Azzeddine M., 2004. "Captive Supplies and Cash Market Prices for Fed Cattle: The Role of Delivery Timing Incentives," Staff General Research Papers 11159, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Buschena, David E. & McNew, Kevin, 2005. "An Exploration of Market Pricing Efficiency: The Dairy Options Pilot Program," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19271, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Anderson, John D. & Ward, Clement E. & Koontz, Stephen R. & Peel, Derrell S. & Trapp, James N., 1998. "Experimental Simulation Of Public Information Impacts On Price Discovery And Marketing Efficiency In The Fed Cattle Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa, 2005. "Trading Behavior in a Marginal Organized Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(03), December.
- Hudson, Darren & Anderson, John D. & Harri, Ardian & Turner, Steven C., 2007. "The Impacts of Market Structure and Contracts on Agricultural Markets," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34935, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Buschena, David E. & McNew, Kevin, 2005. "An Exploration of Market Pricing Efficiency: The Dairy Options Pilot Program," SCC-76 Meeting, March 31-April 2, 2005, Myrtle Beach, SC 28726, SCC-76: Economics and Management of Risk in Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Azzeddine Azzam, 1998. "Captive Supplies, Market Conduct, and the Open-Market Price," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 76-83.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Parcell, Joseph L., 2012. "Evaluation of Market Thinness for Hogs and Pork," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(04), November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.