A Long-Term Analysis of Changes in Farm Size and Financial Performance
AbstractThis paper examined the changing structure of farms in Kansas. Specifically, changes in farm size, farm type, financial performance, and economies of size were examined using five-year moving averages from 1973 to 2007. Convergence analysis was used to determine whether small farms are catching up to larger farms or whether the difference in performance between these two groups of farms was widening. Results suggested that the gaps between the small farms and large farms have widened.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia with number 45915.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Economies of Size; Financial Performance; Farm Management; Production Economics; D21;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry, Peter J. & Escalante, Cesar L. & Bard, Sharon K., 2000. "Economic Risk And The Structural Characteristics Of Farm Businesses," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21778, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mosheim, Roberto & Lovell, C.A. Knox, 2006. "Economic Efficiency, Structure and Scale Economies in the U.S. Dairy Sector," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21440, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Nazrul Islam, 2003. "What have We Learnt from the Convergence Debate?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 309-362, 07.
- Langemeier, Michael R. & Bradford, Kelly, 2005. "An Examination of the Relationship Between Overall Efficiency and Farm Experience," 2005 Annual Meeting, February 5-9, 2005, Little Rock, Arkansas 35589, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.