Factors Influencing Artisanal Fisherfolks' Level of Support for Fishery Regulations: An Approach Using Alternative Ordered Logit Models
AbstractThis article examines factors influencing fishers' decision to support fishery regulations in coastal communities in the Philippines. Using the partial proportional odds variant of the ordered logit model, we show that higher education levels, implementation of regulatory ordinances, and the effectiveness of law enforcement significantly affect the likelihood of supporting fishery regulations in coastal communities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas with number 6791.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Research Methods/ Statistical Methods; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2008-12-14 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-REG-2008-12-14 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kuperan, K. & Abdullah, Nik Mustapha Raja, 1994. "Small-scale coastal fisheries and co-management," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 306-313, July.
- Aaron Hatcher & Shabbar Jaffry & Olivier Thébaud & Elizabeth Bennett, 2000. "Normative and Social Influences Affecting Compliance with Fishery Regulations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(3), pages 448-461.
- Stefan Boes & Rainer Winkelmann, 2005.
"Ordered Response Models,"
SOI - Working Papers
0507, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Pomeroy, Robert S & Carlos, Melvin B, 1997. "Community-based coastal resource management in the Philippines: A review and evaluation of programs and projects, 1984-1994," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 445-464, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.