Factors Influencing Artisanal Fisherfolks' Level of Support for Fishery Regulations: An Approach Using Alternative Ordered Logit Models
AbstractThis article examines factors influencing fishers' decision to support fishery regulations in coastal communities in the Philippines. Using the partial proportional odds variant of the ordered logit model, we show that higher education levels, implementation of regulatory ordinances, and the effectiveness of law enforcement significantly affect the likelihood of supporting fishery regulations in coastal communities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas with number 6791.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Research Methods/ Statistical Methods; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2008-12-14 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-REG-2008-12-14 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Boes & Rainer Winkelmann, 2006.
"Ordered response models,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 167-181, March.
- Aaron Hatcher & Shabbar Jaffry & Olivier Thébaud & Elizabeth Bennett, 2000. "Normative and Social Influences Affecting Compliance with Fishery Regulations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(3), pages 448-461.
- Pomeroy, Robert S & Carlos, Melvin B, 1997. "Community-based coastal resource management in the Philippines: A review and evaluation of programs and projects, 1984-1994," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 445-464, September.
- Kuperan, K. & Abdullah, Nik Mustapha Raja, 1994. "Small-scale coastal fisheries and co-management," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 306-313, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.