A Comprehensive Analysis of Adoption of Energy Crops, GM Crops and Conservation Practices
AbstractThe future of the US agriculture relies on sustainable resource use and income generation for farmers, and maintaining the environmental quality. Hence, farmers are expected to adopt various technologies and practices, such as energy crops, genetically modified crops, and conservation practices. The objective of this study is, by using a multivariate probit model, to conduct a comprehensive analysis of the impact of certain socio-economic factors on adoption of Miscanthus, Roundup Ready® soybean, and maintaining a 100 foot setback between water resources and manure application areas. The results of the current study show that different policies will be needed to promote adoption of technologies with different objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida with number 142928.
Date of creation: 17 Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Sustainable Agriculture; Technology Adoption; Multivariate Probit; Agricultural and Food Policy; Environmental Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-02-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2013-02-16 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huffman, Wallace, 1980.
"Farm and Off-Farm Work Decisions: The Role of Human Capital,"
Staff General Research Papers
10973, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace E, 1980. "Farm and Off-Farm Work Decisions: The Role of Human Capital," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 14-23, February.
- Hua, Wei & Zulauf, Carl R. & Sohngen, Brent, 2004. "To Adopt Or Not To Adopt: Conservation Decisions And Participation In Watershed Groups," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20076, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Huffman, Wallace & Lange, Mark D., 1989.
"Off-Farm Work Decisions of Husbands and Wives: Joint Decision Making,"
Staff General Research Papers
10986, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace E & Lange, Mark D, 1989. "Off-Farm Work Decisions of Husbands and Wives: Joint Decision Making," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 471-80, August.
- Awudu Abdulai & Wallace E. Huffman, 2005. "The Diffusion of New Agricultural Technologies: The Case of Crossbred-Cow Technology in Tanzania," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(3), pages 645-659.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Jeffrey H. Dorfman, 1996. "Modeling Multiple Adoption Decisions in a Joint Framework," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 547-557.
- Madhu Khanna, 2001. "Sequential Adoption of Site-Specific Technologies and its Implications for Nitrogen Productivity: A Double Selectivity Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 35-51.
- Aillery, Marcel P. & Gollehon, Noel R. & Johansson, Robert C. & Kaplan, Jonathan D. & Key, Nigel D. & Ribaudo, Marc, 2005. "Managing Manure To Improve Air And Water Quality," Economic Research Report 33593, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Hendricks, Chad & Mishra, Ashok K., 2005. "Technology Adoption and Off-Farm Household Income: The Case of Herbicide-Tolerant Soybeans," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(03), December.
- Meredith J. Soule & Abebayehu Tegene & Keith D. Wiebe, 2000. "Land Tenure and the Adoption of Conservation Practices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 993-1005.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.