Demographic Factors Affecting the Adoption of Multiple Value-Added Practices by Oklahoma Cow-Calf Producers
AbstractThe utilization of marketing programs to enhance feeder calf value has been met with modest success in Oklahoma. Value-added programs are continually promoted as avenues for improving cow-calf profitability, but producer adoption of value-added practices lags in spite of research showing the value of these practices. Identifying producer characteristics that increase their likelihood to adopt value-added practices is critical to developing successful outreach efforts. Results from a survey of Oklahoma producers on value-added practice adoption indicate that multiple demographic variables influence a producer’s likelihood of practice adoption. For Extension specialists, results can help in targeting likely adopters and developing methods to overcome barriers to adoption by producers less likely to adopt.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama with number 119743.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Beef producers; value-added practices; practice adoption; negative binomial regression; Poisson regression; Farm Management; Livestock Production/Industries; Q12; Q16;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rahelizatovo, Noro C. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2004. "The Adoption of Best-Management Practices by Louisiana Dairy Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Bulut, Harun & Lawrence, John D., 2006. "The Value of Information Provision at Iowa Feeder Cattle Auctions," 2006 Conference, April 17-18, 2006, St. Louis, Missouri 19004, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Basarir, Aydin & Schupp, Alvin R., 2004.
"Beef Producer Choice In Cattle Marketing,"
2004 Annual Meeting, February 14-18, 2004, Tulsa, Oklahoma
34792, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2004. "Market Valuation of Preconditioning Feeder Calves," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- Ward, Clement E. & Vestal, Mallory K. & Doye, Damona G. & Lalman, David L., 2008. "Factors Affecting Adoption of Cow-Calf Production Practices in Oklahoma," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(03), December.
- Jeffrey Gillespie & Seon-Ae Kim & Krishna Paudel, 2007. "Why don't producers adopt best management practices? An analysis of the beef cattle industry," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(1), pages 89-102, 01.
- Williams, Galen S. & Raper, Kellie Curry & DeVuyst, Eric A. & Peel, Derrell S. & McKinney, Doug, 2012. "Determinants of Price Differentials in Oklahoma Value-Added Feeder Cattle Auctions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Williams, Brian R. & DeVuyst, Eric A. & Peel, Derrell S. & Raper, Kellie Curry, 2014. "The Likelihood of Positive Returns from Value-Added Calf Management Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 46(01), February.
- Schumacher, Stephanie & Peel, Derrell S. & Raper, Kellie Curry, 2013. "Non-Adoption of Best Management Practices: Demographics and Adoption Constraints of Oklahoma Cattle Producers," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143094, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.