Short term effects of moderate carbon prices on land use in the New Zealand emissions trading system: LURNZ-climate land use change simulations
AbstractThe New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme (NZ ETS) was introduced through the Climate Change Response Act in September 2008 and remains in force. The forestry sector has been directly affected by the NZ ETS since 1 January 2008 and stationary energy, liquid fuels and industrial emissions have been affected since 1 July 2010. When it is fully implemented in 2015 it will cover all sources and gases including agricultural emissions. Using the Land Use in Rural New Zealand model (LURNZ), we simulate rural land use changes that could be driven by the NZETS in order that we can explore their potential implications for emissions and removals (sequestration) and rural incomes and land values. This paper documents our simulation methods and presents short term (up to 2015) simulations for moderate prices ($25 New Zealand dollars per tonne of CO2-e) where our current modelling techniques are most robust.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2010 Conference, August 26-27, 2010, Nelson, New Zealand with number 96941.
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Crop Production/Industries; Environmental Economics and Policy; Industrial Organization; International Relations/Trade; Land Economics/Use; Livestock Production/Industries; Risk and Uncertainty;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendy, Joanna & Kerr, Suzi, 2005.
"Greenhouse Gas Emission Factor Module: Land Use in Rural New Zealand—Climate Version 1,"
2005 Conference, August 26-27, 2005, Nelson, New Zealand
98501, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Joanna Hendy & Suzi Kerr, 2005. "Greenhouse Gas Emission Factor Module: Land Use in Rural New Zealand - Climate Version 1," Working Papers 05_10, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Anderson, Kym & Lattimore, Ralph G. & Lloyd, Peter J. & MacLaren, Donald, 2008.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia and New Zealand,"
Agricultural Distortions Working Paper
48387, World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym & Lattimore, Ralph G. & Lloyd, Peter J. & MacLaren, Donald, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia and New Zealand," 2007 Conference (51st), February 13-16, 2007, Queenstown, New Zealand 10407, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Joanna Hendy & Suzi Kerr & Troy Baisden, 2007. "The Land Use in Rural New Zealand Model Version 1 (LURNZv1: Model Description)," Working Papers 07_07, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Joanna Hendy & Suzi Kerr, 2006. "Land Use Intensity Module: Land Use in Rural New Zealand Version 1," Working Papers 06_05, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Munchhausen, Susanne von, 2010. "Defining agricultural and forestry systems in econometric land use models: Some critical reflections," 2010 Conference, August 26-27, 2010, Nelson, New Zealand 96491, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.