Factors Affecting Hedging Decisions Using Evidence from the Cotton Industry
AbstractFew farmers utilize futures and options markets to price their crops despite significant educational efforts. This study seeks to analyze producer hedging behavior within the framework of the overall marketing behavior. Producer marketing behavior is modeled as a simultaneous choice between cash sales, cooperative marketing and forward contracts, and hedging. A multinomial logit model is used for empirical estimation using data from a survey administered to a sample of cotton producers from across the U.S. The most important factors that explain the use of forward pricing by cotton producers are producer preferences, farm size, use of crop insurance, risk aversion, income from government payments and off-farm income. Risk aversion, off-farm income, crop insurance and some producer perceptions are important in the choice of the form of forward pricing (direct hedging vs. cooperative marketing and forward contracts).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management in its series 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri with number 18970.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.agebb.missouri.edu/ncrext/ncr134/
Crop Production/Industries; Marketing;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Patrick Sentis, 2008.
"The main determinants of insurance purchase. An empirical study on crop insurance policies in France,"
08-06, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Apr 2008.
- Enjolras, Geoffroy & Sentis, P., 2008. "The Main Determinants of Insurance Purchase: An Empirical Study on Crop Insurance Policies in France," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44395, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Garcia, Philip & Nelson, Carl H., 2003. "Engaging Students In Research: The Use Of Structured Professional Dialogue," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21894, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jordaan, Henry & Grove, Bennie, 2008. "Factors affecting the use of forward pricing methods in price risk management with special reference to the influence of risk aversion," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 47(1), March.
- Jordaan, Henry & Grove, Bennie, 2007. "Factors Affecting Maize Producers Adoption of Forward Pricing in Price Risk Management: The Case of Vaalharts," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(4), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.