Systemic Risk In U.S. Crop And Revenue Insurance Programs
AbstractThis study estimates the probability density function of the Federal Risk Management Agency's (RMA) net income from reinsuring crop insurance for corn, wheat, and soybeans. Based on 1997 data, the authors estimate that there is a 5 percent probability that RMA will need to reimburse at least $1 billion to insurance companies, and that the fair value of RMA's reinsurance services to insurance firms equals $78.7 million. In addition, various hedging strategies are examined for their potential to reduce RMA's reinsurance risk. The risk reduction achievable by hedging is appreciable, but use of derivative contracts alone is clearly no panacea.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition in its series Proceedings: 2001 Regional Committee NC-221, October 1-2, 2001, McLean, Virginia with number 132389.
Date of creation: Oct 2001
Date of revision:
Agricultural Finance; Risk and Uncertainty;
Other versions of this item:
- Chuck Mason & Dermot J. Hayes & Sergio H. Lence, 2001. "Systemic Risk in U.S. Crop and Revenue Insurance Programs," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 01-wp266, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Mason, C. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Lence, Sergio H., 2001. "Systemic Risk in U.S. Crop and Revenue Insurance Programs," Staff General Research Papers 11396, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mario J. Miranda & Joseph W. Glauber, 1997. "Systemic Risk, Reinsurance, and the Failure of Crop Insurance Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 206-215.
- Octavio A. Ram�rez, 1997. "Estimation and Use of a Multivariate Parametric Model for Simulating Heteroskedastic, Correlated, Nonnormal Random Variables: The Case of Corn Belt Corn, Soybean, and Wheat Yields," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 191-205.
- Bruce A. Babcock & Joseph A. Herriges, 1994.
"Input Demand Under Yield and Revenue Insurance,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
94-wp127, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Vedenov, Dmitry V., 2002. "Estimating Returns Under Standard Reinsurance Agreement," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19720, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Vedenov, Dmitry V. & Miranda, Mario J. & Dismukes, Robert & Glauber, Joseph W., 2004. "Economic Analysis of the Standard Reinsurance Agreement," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20345, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.