The Effect of Liberalization on Grain Prices and Marketing Margins in Ethiopia
AbstractThis report analyzes the effects of grain market reform in Ethiopia on grain prices and price spreads between major wholesale markets. The experience of Ethiopia during the 1990s represents a case in which a relatively consistent and internally-driven program of grain market liberalization has been pursued with the general approval of international lenders and donors. The state marketing board, while not abolished, has been substantially downsized and has become a marginal actor in the current grain marketing system. Hence, the case of Ethiopia between 1990 and 1997 may constitute a particularly important test of the hypothesis expressed by reform advocates that the removal of regulatory constraints on private trade and the transition to a market-oriented system would reduce grain marketing costs and pass along benefits to both farmers and consumers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics in its series Food Security International Development Working Papers with number 54681.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
food security; food policy; grain market reform; Ethiopia; International Relations/Trade; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies; Downloads June 2008 - July 2009: 37; Q18;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stilwell, Thomas C., 1985. "Periodicals for Microcomputers: An Annotated Bibliography, Second Edition," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54750, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Liedholm, Carl & Parker, Joan Chamberlin, 1989. "Small Scale Manufacturing Growth in Africa: Initial Evidence," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54738, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Stilwell, Thomas C., 1983. "Software Directories for Microcomputers: An Annotated Bibliography," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54762, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Hrapsky, Alan & Weber, Michael T. & Riley, Harold, 1985. "A Diagnostic Perspective Assessment of the Production and Marketing System for Mangoes in the Eastern Caribbean," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54748, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Narayanan, Sudha & Gulati, Ashok, 2002.
"Globalization and the smallholders,"
MSSD discussion papers
50, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Baffes, John & Larson, Donald F. & Varangis, Panos, 2003.
"Commodity market reform in Africa : some recent experience,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2995, The World Bank.
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Baffes, John & Larson, Donald F. & Varangis, Panos, 2003. "Commodity market reform in Africa: some recent experience," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 83-115, March.
- Quattri, Maria A. & Ozanne, Adam & Wang, Xioabing & Hall, Alastair R., 2011. "On The Role Of The Brokerage Institution In The Development Of Ethiopian Agricultural Markets," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108941, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Kodama, Yuka, 2012. "Young women's economic daily lives in rural Ethiopia," IDE Discussion Papers 344, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Takamasa Akiyama & John Baffes & Donald Larson & Panos Varangis, 2001. "Commodity Market Reforms : Lessons of Two Decades," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13852, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.