Research on Agricultural Development in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Critical Survey
AbstractThis survey focuses on the rural economy which is broadly defined to include the agricultural sector plus rural nonfarm activities such as small-scale industry, trade, processing, and fishing. It reviews research on migration, employment, and income distribution in order to understand linkages between the agricultural and nonagricultural sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics in its series Food Security International Development Papers with number 54071.
Date of creation: 1982
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
food security; food policy; agricultural development; International Development; Downloads December 2008-June 2009: 5; Q18;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maxwell, Daniel G. & Wiebe, Keith D., 1998. "Land Tenure And Food Security: A Review Of Concepts, Evidence, And Methods," Research Papers 12752, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Land Tenure Center.
- Byiringiro, Fidele & Reardon, Thomas, 1996. "Farm productivity in Rwanda: effects of farm size, erosion, and soil conservation investments," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 127-136, November.
- William Easterly, 2008.
"Can the West Save Africa?,"
NBER Working Papers
14363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Udry, Christopher & Czukas, Katherine, 1998.
"Drought and saving in West Africa: are livestock a buffer stock?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 273-305, April.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Chris Udry & Katherine Czukas, . "Drought and Saving in West Africa: Are Livestock a Buffer Stock?," Working Papers 97013, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Savadogo, Kimseyinga & Brandt, Jon A., 1988. "Household Food Demand in Burkina Faso: Implications for Food Policy," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 2(4), December.
- Reardon, Thomas, 1995. "Sustainability issues for agricultural research strategies in the semi-arid tropics: Focus on the Sahel," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 345-359.
- Byiringiro, Fidele & Reardon, Thomas, 1996. "Farm productivity in Rwanda: effects of farm size, erosion, and soil conservation investments," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 15(2), November.
- Ryan, James G. & Wang'ati, F.J., 1983. "Proceedings of the Eastern Africa-ACIAR Consultation on Agricultural Research: Major Agricultural Problems and Research Priorities in the Eastern-Africa Region," Proceedings 127052, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research.
- Haggblade, Steven & Hazell, Peter B., 1988. "Prospects for equitable growth in rural sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 8, The World Bank.
- Svedberg, Peter, 1999. "841 Million Undernourished?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2081-2098, December.
- M. Meltzer, 1995. "Livestock in africa: The economics of ownership and production, and the potential for improvement," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 4-18, March.
- Tabatabai H, 1985. "Food crisis and development policies in sub-saharan Africa," ILO Working Papers 239736, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.