Economic Evaluation of SPS Regulations: Where Can Progress be Made?
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to report on the current state of economic evaluations for sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) regulations affecting food and agricultural trade. The paper reviews current theoretical and econometric advances and limitations in modeling SPS regulations, particularly in dealing with biological and environmental uncertainty. By systematizing limitations of current approaches for evaluation, and comparing them with approaches used in the public health arena, the paper identifies problematic areas, and suggests steps for immediate analytical and policy progress.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 36946.
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knowler, Duncan & Barbier, Edward, 2005. "Importing exotic plants and the risk of invasion: are market-based instruments adequate?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 341-354, February.
- Cropper, Maureen & Laibson, David, 1998. "The implications of hyperbolic discounting for project evaluation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1943, The World Bank.
- Ainslie, George, 1991. "Derivation of "Rational" Economic Behavior from Hyperbolic Discount Curves," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 334-40, May.
- Romano, Eduardo & Orden, David, 1995. "The Political Economy of U.S. Import Restrictions on Nursery Stock and Ornamental Plants in Growing Media," 1995: Understanding Technical Barriers to Agricultural Trade Conference, December 1995, Tucson, Arizona 50707, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Holden, Stein & Shiferaw, Bekele & Pender, John, 2005. "Policy analysis for sustainable land management and food security in Ethiopia: a bioeconomic model with market imperfections," Research reports 140, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Richard Carson & Robert Mitchell & Michael Hanemann & Raymond Kopp & Stanley Presser & Paul Ruud, 2003. "Contingent Valuation and Lost Passive Use: Damages from the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(3), pages 257-286, July.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Wilson, John S. & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2000. "Quantifying the impact of technical barriers to trade : a framework for analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2512, The World Bank.
- Roberts, Donna & Josling, Timothy E. & Orden, David, 1999. "A Framework for Analyzing Technical Trade Barriers in Agricultural Markets," Technical Bulletins 33560, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Newell, Richard G. & Pizer, William A., 2004. "Uncertain discount rates in climate policy analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 519-529, March.
- Peterson, Everett B. & Evangelou, Phylo & Orden, David & Bakshi, Nishita, 2004. "An Economic Assessment Of Removing The Partial U.S. Import Ban On Fresh Mexican Hass Avocados," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19938, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Timothy E. Josling & Donna Roberts & David Orden, 2004. "Food Regulation and Trade: Toward a Safe and Open Global System," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 347.
- Cheryl Brown & Lori Lynch & David Zilberman, 2002.
"The Economics of Controlling Insect-Transmitted Plant Diseases,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 279-291.
- Brown, Cheryl & Lynch, Lori & Zilberman, David, 2000. "The Economics Of Controlling Insect-Transmitted Plant Diseases," Working Papers 28557, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Calvin, Linda & Krissoff, Barry, 1998. "Technical Barriers To Trade: A Case Study Of Phytosanitary Barriers And U.S. - Japanese Apple Trade," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 1998. "Why the Far-Distant Future Should Be Discounted at Its Lowest Possible Rate," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 201-208, November.
- Born, Wanda & Rauschmayer, Felix & Brauer, Ingo, 2005. "Economic evaluation of biological invasions--a survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 321-336, November.
- Philip L. Paarlberg & John G. Lee, 1998. "Import Restrictions in the Presence of a Health Risk: An Illustration Using FMD," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 175-183.
- Roberts, Donna & Unnevehr, Laurian J. & Caswell, Julie A. & Sheldon, Ian M. & Wilson, John S. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Orden, David, 2001. "The Role Of Product Attributes In The Agricultural Negotiations," Commissioned Papers 14620, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Evans, Edward A. & Spreen, Thomas H. & Knapp, J.L., 2002. "Economic Issues of Invasive Pests and Diseases and Food Safety," Monographs, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center, number 15696, December.
- Weitzman, M.L., 1993.
"On the 'Environmental' Discount Rate,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1625, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Pimentel, David & Zuniga, Rodolfo & Morrison, Doug, 2005. "Update on the environmental and economic costs associated with alien-invasive species in the United States," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 273-288, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.