Determinants of Cattle Feeding Profit and Cost of Gain Variability
AbstractCattle feeders face risks from fluctuating fed cattle, feeder cattle, and feed prices and cattle performance. Closeout data on 7293 pens of steers are studied to determine the relative impacts of prices and animal performance on cattle feeding profits and cost of gain. Results indicate the importance of managing price risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 118161.
Date of creation: Jul 1993
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Langemeier, Michael R. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R., 1992. "Determinants Of Cattle Finishing Profitability," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr. & Arnade, Carlos A. & Jones, Keithly G., 2008.
"Derived Demand for Cattle Feeding Inputs,"
Journal of Agribusiness,
Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 26(1).
- Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur, 2006. "Optimal Incentive Structure in Cattle Feeding Contracts Under Alternative Fed Cattle Pricing Methods," Working Papers 28549, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Maples, Josh & Harri, Ardian & Riley, John Michael & Tack, Jesse B., 2013. "Marketing Margins and Input Price Uncertainty," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150604, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jones, Rodney D. & Kastens, Terry L., 1999. "Predicting Feeding Cost Of Gain With More Precision," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21506, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur, 2006. "Optimal Incentive Structure in Cattle Feeding Contracts under Alternative Fed Cattle Pricing Methods," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21404, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mark, Darrell R. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Jones, Rodney D., 2000. "Identifying Economic Risk In Cattle Feeding," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 18(3).
- Anderson, David P. & Daley, Erin & Outlaw, Joe L., 2007. "The Interaction between ethanol and cattle feeding: economics and issues," Biofuels, Food and Feed Tradeoffs, Biofuels, Food and Feed Tradeoffs Conference, April 12-13, 2007, St, Louis, Missouri 48770, Farm Foundation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.