Determinants of Cattle Feeding Profit and Cost of Gain Variability
AbstractCattle feeders face risks from fluctuating fed cattle, feeder cattle, and feed prices and cattle performance. Closeout data on 7293 pens of steers are studied to determine the relative impacts of prices and animal performance on cattle feeding profits and cost of gain. Results indicate the importance of managing price risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 118161.
Date of creation: Jul 1993
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Langemeier, Michael R. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R., 1992. "Determinants Of Cattle Finishing Profitability," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Jones, Rodney D. & Kastens, Terry L., 1999. "Predicting Feeding Cost Of Gain With More Precision," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21506, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Arnade, Carlos A. & Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr. & Jones, Keithly G., 2005.
"Derived Demand for Cattle Feeding Inputs,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19454, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Anderson, David P. & Daley, Erin & Outlaw, Joe L., 2007. "The Interaction between ethanol and cattle feeding: economics and issues," Biofuels, Food and Feed Tradeoffs, Biofuels, Food and Feed Tradeoffs Conference, April 12-13, 2007, St, Louis, Missouri 48770, Farm Foundation.
- Maples, Josh & Harri, Ardian & Riley, John Michael & Tack, Jesse B., 2013. "Marketing Margins and Input Price Uncertainty," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150604, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur, 2006. "Optimal Incentive Structure in Cattle Feeding Contracts Under Alternative Fed Cattle Pricing Methods," Working Papers 28549, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur, 2006. "Optimal Incentive Structure in Cattle Feeding Contracts under Alternative Fed Cattle Pricing Methods," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21404, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mark, Darrell R. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Jones, Rodney D., 2000. "Identifying Economic Risk In Cattle Feeding," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 18(3).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.