Environmental Efficiency Among Corn Ethanol Plants
AbstractThis study evaluates the environmental efficiency of seven recently constructed ethanol plants in the North Central region of the U.S., using nonparametric data envelopment analysis (DEA). Environmental efficiency is measured and decomposed into its technical and allocative sources. Results show that, on average, plants in our sample may be able to reduce GHG emissions by a maximum of 6% or by 3,116 tons per quarter. The economic (shadow) cost of reducing greenhouse gas emissions reveals that, at current activity levels, plants may have room for simultaneous improvement of environmental efficiency and economic profitability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil with number 130167.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
ethanol carbon footprint; environmental efficiency; shadow cost; data envelopment analysis; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Other versions of this item:
- Sesmero, Juan P. & Perrin, Richard K. & Fulginiti, Lilyan E., 2010. "Environmental Efficiency Among Corn Ethanol Plants," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61650, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2012-08-23 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENV-2012-08-23 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perrin, Richard K. & Fretes, Nickolas F. & Sesmero, Juan Pablo, 2009. "Efficiency in Midwest US corn ethanol plants: A plant survey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1309-1316, April.
- Tim Coelli & Ludwig Lauwers & Guido Huylenbroeck, 2007. "Environmental efficiency measurement and the materials balance condition," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 3-12, October.
- Wamisho, Kassu, 2012. "The Shadow Price of GHG Reduction in Corn Ethanol Plants," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124719, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wamisho, Kassu, 2012. "The Shadow Price of GHG Reduction in Corn Ethanol Plants," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126862, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.