Economic and Environmental Possibilities of Sugar Beet In Spain: Towards Bio-ethanol Production?
AbstractSince 2006 to nowadays sugar beet in Europe has suffered a deep transformation with the new Common Market Organization. That year, in Spain, farms gave up 50% of production quota. New century has come accompanied by different EU strategies, including the obligation of stimulating new energy sources development especially renewable energies. From a double perspective, the authors have made an empirical approach to learn about future viability of this sector in Spain. First of all, we present an economic analysis to reflect the actual situation of market goods offered by this farming. Then we present environmental efficiency analysis (Greenhouse Gases emissions) caused by sugar beet farms with the aim of studying environmental non-market goods derived from bio-ethanol production. Goods that take part of the environmental function of this economical activity as a positive externality which has become an essential characteristic of EU agrarian system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil with number 126451.
Date of creation: 22 Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Sugar Beet; Environmental Efficiency Analysis; Greenhouse Gases emissions; Agricultural and Food Policy; Environmental Economics and Policy; Q15; Q16; Q18;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-07-23 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2012-07-23 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2012-07-23 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tao Zhang, 2008. "Environmental performance in China's agricultural sector: a case study in corn production," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(8), pages 641-645.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.