System of Rice Intensification (SRI) method of rice cultivation in West Bengal (India): An Economic analysis
AbstractThe economic analysis of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) vis-à-vis conventional method of rice cultivation was assessed in Bardhaman district of West Bengal during 2009-10. The cost-returns analysis of SRI method revealed that the cost of raising nursery for one ha main field transplantation was comparatively lower (Rs 954 and Rs 995) than conventional method (Rs 3654 and Rs 4503) in kharif and rabi season, respectively. However, cost of cultivation in SRI method was comparatively higher in kharif (Rs 44833), but less in rabi season (Rs 43862) as compared to conventional method (Rs 40627 and Rs 44853 in kharif and rabi) of rice cultivation. The total return per rupee of total cost was higher in SRI method (1.58 and 1.92) than in conventional method (1.25 and 1.37) in both the seasons. SRI farmers were found to be technically more efficient than conventional rice farmers. The probability of adoption increases as the literacy level increases and farmers located far away from canal. Difficulties in management practices like water management, intercultural operations along with lack of skilled labour and water scarcity especially in rabi season were the major factors constraining the adoption of SRI method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil with number 126234.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
system of rice intensification; efficiency; logit analysis; Agricultural and Food Policy; Crop Production/Industries; Farm Management; Production Economics;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-07-08 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2012-07-08 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devi, K. Sita & Ponnarasi, T., 2009. "An Economic Analysis of Modern Rice Production Technology and its Adoption Behaviour in Tamil Nadu," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 22(2009).
- Radha, Y. & Reddy, K. Yella & Rao, G. Subba & Chandra, S. Ramesh & Babu, G. Kishore, 2009. "Water-saving Rice Production Technologies in Krishna Western Delta Command of Andhra Pradesh â€“ An Economic Analysis," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 22(2009).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.