Does Non-Farm Income Increase Farm-Household Income Inequality? Evidence from Three Continents
AbstractThis paper performs inequality decomposition by income sources using data from three different continents, using a unified inequality decomposition approach. Household survey data from Ethiopia, Georgia and Korea are used for this purpose, and the uniform result is that non-farm labor income is an equalizing source of income, in the sense that increasing non-farm labor income by 1% uniformly results in a lower Gini index of inequality. These results shed light on the processes that affect farm-household inequality under various geographical, economic and institutional conditions, and imply that policy directed towards non-farm income sources could not only raise rural incomes on average but also potentially reduce inequality, i.e., be pro-poor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China with number 51433.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Inequality; Non-Farm Income; Decomposition.; Agricultural and Food Policy; Community/Rural/Urban Development; Consumer/Household Economics; International Development;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shorrocks, A F, 1982. "Inequality Decomposition by Factor Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 193-211, January.
- Leones, J P & Feldman, S, 1998. "Nonfarm Activity and Rural Household Income: Evidence from Philippine Microdata," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(4), pages 789-806, July.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "The Impact of Income Components on the Distribution of Family Incomes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 311-26, May.
- Chinn, Dennis L, 1979. "Rural Poverty and the Structure of Farm Household Income in Developing Countries: Evidence from Taiwan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 283-301, January.
- El-Osta, Hisham S. & Bernat, G. Andrew, Jr. & Ahearn, Mary Clare, 1995. "Regional Differences In The Contribution Of Off-Farm Work To Income Inequality," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 24(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.