Technology Adoption And Pest Control Strategies Among UK Cereal Farmers: Evidence from Parametric and Nonparametric Count Data Models
AbstractThis paper examines technology adoption and integrated pest management strategies employed by UK farmers, using both parametric and nonparametric methods. We employ a unique survey data set collected from UK cereal farmers to assess the determinants of technology adoption in relation to pest management. Our preferred model specification is nonparametric which makes use of the recently developed methods of Li and Racine (2007) and Racine and Li (2004). These methods allow us to combine categorical and continuous data and thereby avoid sample splitting and resulting efficiency losses. Our analysis reveals that total area farmed is positively related to the number of technologies adopted, whereas age is negatively related. We also find evidence of significant statistical differences for number of adoptions by region across the UK.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China with number 51335.
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
technology; adoption; cereal farming; UK; nonparametric; Environmental Economics and Policy; Industrial Organization; Land Economics/Use; Risk and Uncertainty; O14; Q16;
Other versions of this item:
- Abhijit Sharma & Alastair Bailey & Iain Fraser, 2011. "Technology Adoption and Pest Control Strategies Among UK Cereal Farmers: Evidence from Parametric and Nonparametric Count Data Models," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 73-92, 02.
- Sharma, Abhijit & Bailey, Alastair & Fraser, Iain, 2009. "Technology Adoption And Pest Control Strategies Among UK Cereal Farmers: Evidence from Parametric and Nonparametric Count Data Models," MPRA Paper 15805, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lohr, Luanne & Park, Timothy A., 2002. "Choice of insect management portfolios by organic farmers: lessons and comparative analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 87-99, November.
- Tristen Hayfield & Jeffrey S. Racine, . "Nonparametric Econometrics: The np Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(i05).
- Ali Chalak & Kelvin Balcombe & Alastair Bailey & Iain Fraser, 2008. "Pesticides, Preference Heterogeneity and Environmental Taxes," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 537-554, 09.
- Abadi Ghadim, Amir K. & Pannell, David J., 1999. "A conceptual framework of adoption of an agricultural innovation," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 145-154, October.
- Cowan, Robin & Gunby, Philip, 1996. "Sprayed to Death: Path Dependence, Lock-In and Pest Control Strategies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 521-42, May.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Abdulai, Awudu & Huffman, Wallace, 2007. "The Diffusion of New Agricultural Technologies: The Case of Crossbreeding Technology in Tanzania," Staff General Research Papers 12785, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Racine, Jeff, 2006.
"Growth And Convergence: A Profile Of Distribution Dynamics And Mobility,"
Departmental Working Papers
0605, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Racine, Jeff & Stengos, Thanasis, 2007. "Growth and convergence: A profile of distribution dynamics and mobility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 483-508, February.
- Bailey, Alastair & Bertaglia, Marco & Fraser, Iain & Sharma, Abhijit & Douarin, Elodie, 2009. "Integrated Pest Management Portfolios in UK Arable Farming: Results of a Farmer Survey," MPRA Paper 14764, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge, 1996. "The Microeconomic Impact Of Ipm Adoption: Theory And Application," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
- Min, Insik & Fang, Cheng & Li, Qi, 2004. "Investigation of patterns in food-away-from-home expenditure for China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 457-476.
- Peter Hall & Qi Li & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2007. "Nonparametric Estimation of Regression Functions in the Presence of Irrelevant Regressors," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 784-789, November.
- Kim, Seon-Ae & Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Paudel, Krishna P., 2005. "Count Data Analysis of the Adoption of Best Management Practices in Beef Cattle Production," 2005 Annual Meeting, February 5-9, 2005, Little Rock, Arkansas 35603, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Ghadim, Amir K. Abadi & Pannell, David J., 1999. "A conceptual framework of adoption of an agricultural innovation," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(2), October.
- Noltze, Martin & Schwarze, Stefan & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Understanding the adoption of systemic innovations in smallholder agriculture: the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Timor Leste," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114604, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Magali Aubert & Zouhair Bouhsina & Jean Marie Codron & Sylvain Rousset, 2013.
"Pesticide safety risk, food chain organization, and the adoption of sustainable farming practices. The case of Moroccan early tomatoes,"
192816, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Aubert, M. & Bouhsina, Z. & Codron, J.M. & Rousset, S., 2013. "Pesticide safety risk, food chain organization, and the adoption of sustainable farming practices. The case of Moroccan early tomatoes," Working Papers MOISA 201304, UMR MOISA : Marchés, Organisations, Institutions et Stratégies d'Acteurs : CIHEAM-IAMM, CIRAD, INRA, Montpellier SupAgro, IRD - Montpellier, France.
- Pandit, Mahesh & Paudel, Krishna P. & Hinson, Roger A., 2012. "Intensity of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Practices Adoption by U.S. Nursery Crop Producers," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124942, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jean Marie Codron & Hakan Adanacioglu & Magali Aubert & Zouhair Bouhsina & A. Ait El Mekki & Sylvain Rousset & Selma Tozanli & Murat Yercan, 2012. "Pesticide safety risk management in high value chains: the case of Turkey and Morocco," Working Papers 172000, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.