Rice Production Response in Cambodia
AbstractThis paper analyzes how Cambodian farmers and the government can respond to the rise of rice price. The study estimates rice production response in Cambodia using the Cambodia Socio-Economic Surveys (CSES) conducted in 2004 and 2007. The results indicate that agricultural productivity is far from its potential and can be increased substantially by using modern technology and inputs such as fertilizers and irrigation. Our findings also suggest that the Cambodian government needs to design its investment strategy to relax constraints in rural infrastructure such as transportation and electricity in order to increase its agricultural production and productivity and boost farmers’ income.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China with number 51042.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Production response; government investment; price; rice; Cambodia; Agricultural and Food Policy; Crop Production/Industries; Food Security and Poverty; Production Economics; C21; O13; Q1;
Other versions of this item:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nerlove, Marc, 1971.
"Further Evidence on the Estimation of Dynamic Economic Relations from a Time Series of Cross Sections,"
Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 359-82, March.
- Marc Nerlove, 1968. "Further Evidence on the Estimation of Dynamic Economic Relations from a Time Series of Cross-Sections," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 257, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Wall, Charles A. & Fisher, Brian S., 1988. "Supply Response and the Theory of Production and Profit Functions," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 56(03), December.
- Julie Subervie, 2008. "The Variable Response of Agricultural Supply to World Price Instability in Developing Countries," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 72-92, 02.
- P. J. Gunawardana & E. A. Oczkowski, 1992. "Government Policies And Agricultural Supply Response: Paddy In Sri Lanka," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 231-242.
- Heltberg, R. & Tarp, F., 2002.
"Agricultural supply response and poverty in Mozambique,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Heltberg, Rasmus & Tarp, Finn, 2001. "Agricultural Supply Response and Poverty in Mozambique," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Shenggen Fan & Bingxin Yu & Somchai Jitsuchon, 2008. "Does Allocation of Public Spending Matter in Poverty Reduction? Evidence from Thailand ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 22(4), pages 411-430, December.
- Choeun, Hong & Godo, Yoshihisa & Hayami, Yujiro, 2006. "The economics and politics of rice export taxation in Thailand: A historical simulation analysis, 1950-1985," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 103-125, February.
- Ball, V. Eldon & Moss, Charles B. & Erickson, Kenneth W. & Nehring, Richard F., 2003. "Modeling Supply Response In A Multiproduct Framework Revisited: The Nexus Of Empirics And Economics," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21981, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Surajit Deb, 2005. "Terms of Trade and Supply Response of Indian Agriculture: Analysis in Cointegration Framework," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 40(1), pages 65-92, January.
- Phillip Hone & Henry Haszler & Tevita Natasiwai, 2008. "Agricultural Supply Response in Fiji," Economics Series 2008_04, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- J.C. Flinn & Kaliappa P. Kalirajan & Linda L. Castillo, 1982.
"Supply Responsiveness Of Rice Farmers In Laguna, Philippines,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 26(1), pages 39-48, 04.
- Flinn, John C. & Kalirajan, Kaliappa P. & Castillo, Linda L., 1982. "Supply Responsiveness Of Rice Farmers In Laguna, Philippines," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 26(01), April.
- Muchapondwa, Edwin, 2009. "Supply response of Zimbabwean agriculture: 1970â€“1999," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(1), March.
- Just, Richard E., 1993. "Discovering Production and Supply Relationships: Present Status and Future Opportunities," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 61(01), April.
- Suleiman Abrar & Oliver Morrissey & Tony Rayner, 2004. "Crop-Level Supply Response by Agro-Climatic Region in Ethiopia," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 289-311.
- Mushtaq, Khalid & Dawson, P.J., 2003. "Yield Response In Pakistan Agriculture: A Cointegration Approach," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25931, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Kasryno, Faisal & Perez, Nicostrato D., 1998. "Output response to prices and public investment in agriculture: Indonesian food crops," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Hattink, Wolter & Heerink, Nico & Thijssen, Geert, 1998. "Supply Response of Cocoa in Ghana: A Farm-Level Profit Function Analysis," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 7(3), pages 424-44, October.
- Hone, Phillip & Haszler, Henry & Natasiwai, Tevita, 2008. "Agricultural Supply Response in Fiji," 2008 Conference (52nd), February 5-8, 2008, Canberra, Australia 5982, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Robinson, Sherman & Levy, Stephanie, 2014. "Can cash transfers promote the local economy? A case study for Cambodia:," IFPRI discussion papers 1334, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Simone Gobien & Björn Vollan, 2013.
"Playing with the social network: Social cohesion in resettled and non-resettled communities in Cambodia,"
2013-16, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Simone Gobien & Björn Vollan, 2013. "Playing with the social network: Social cohesion in resettled and non-resettled communities in Cambodia," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201331, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Gobien, Simone & Vollan, Björn, 2013. "Playing with the Social Network: Social Cohesion in Resettled and Non-Resettled Communities in Cambodia," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79985, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.