Agricultural Productivity Growth in the European Union and Transition Countries
AbstractEconomic reform in the Central and Eastern European countries in the 1980s helped transform the structure and volume of agricultural production, consumption and trade, and resulted in significant agricultural productivity improvements. However, there are large differences among the transition countries in the magnitude and direction of these changes. The main objective of this study is to measure and compare the levels and trends in agricultural productivity in transition countries with those of the European Union (EU) countries making use of the most recent data available from the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). This study employs a parametric distance function approach to measure Malmquist productivity index as well as the magnitude and direction of technical change. The Malmquist productivity index is decomposed into technical change (TC), technical efficiency change (TEC) and scale efficiency change (SEC) in which TC is decomposed into input- and output- biased TC. These measures provide insightful information for researchers in designing policies to achieve a high growth rate in transition countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia with number 25353.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
agriculture; parametric; productivity; transition countries; biased technical change; Productivity Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1997.
"LDC agriculture: Nonparametric Malmquist productivity indexes,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 373-390, August.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 2005. "LDC Agriculture: Non-parametric Malmquist productivity indexes," Development and Comp Systems 0502025, EconWPA.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Norris, Mary, 1997. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1040-43, December.
- Tim J. Coelli & Chris O'Donnell, 2003.
"A Bayesian Approach To Imposing Curvature On Distance Functions,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP032003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Coelli, Timothy J., 2005. "A Bayesian approach to imposing curvature on distance functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 493-523, June.
- Ray, Subhash C & Desli, Evangelia, 1997. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1033-39, December.
- Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, Vernon W, 1970. "Agricultural Productivity Differences Among Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 895-911, December.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003.
"Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005. "Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.