Measuring farmers’ risk aversion: the unknown properties of the value function
AbstractWe argue in this paper that available econometric estimates of farmers’ risk aversion do not measure true farmers’ preferences towards risky outcomes. Available analyses are mostly of static nature and indeed measure the parameters of the synthetic optimal value function rather than the deep parameters of the utility functions. We derive analytical and empirical results in a simple dynamic and stochastic framework showing that that there is not a simple relationship between utility functions and value functions when agents have many decision variables. In particular we find that the value function does not necessarily exhibit DARA when the instantaneous utility function satisfies DARA and conversely. We recommend performing dynamic econometric estimation with at least farm production and consumption data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland with number 114623.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Risk and Uncertainty;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Just, Richard E. & Just, David R., 2011. "Global identification of risk preferences with revealed preference data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 6-17, May.
- Lence, Sergio H., 2007.
"Joint Estimation of Risk Preferences and Technology: Flexible Utility of Futility?,"
2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN
9980, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sergio H. Lence, 2007. "Joint Estimation of Risk Preferences and Technology: Flexible Utility or Futility?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 581-598.
- Lence, Sergio H., 2009. "Joint Estimation of Risk Preferences and Technology: Flexible Utility or Futility?," Staff General Research Papers 13028, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Donald Meyer & Jack Meyer, 2005. "Relative Risk Aversion: What Do We Know?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 243-262, December.
- Pope, Rulon D. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T & Just, Richard E., 2007.
"Agricultural Arbitrage and Risk Preferences,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt3tw1m1p0, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Pope, Rulon D. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T. & Just, Richard E, 2007. "Agricultural arbitrage and risk preferences," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1041, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Jeffrey LaFrance & Rulon Pope & Richard Just, 2008. "Agricultural Arbitrage and Risk Preferences," Working Papers 2009-01, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- David A. Hennessy, 1998.
"The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies under Uncertainty,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 46-57.
- Hennessy, David A., 1998. "The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies Under Uncertainty," Staff General Research Papers 1207, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Santanu Roy & Rien Wagenvoort, 1996. "Risk preference and indirect utility in portfolio-choice problems," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 139-150, June.
- Carpentier, Alain & Gohin, Alexandre & Heinzel, Christoph, 2012. "Production Effects of Direct Payments to Active Farmers: a Microeconomic Dynamic and Stochastic Analysis," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122447, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.