Participation in Modern Agri-Food Supply Chain in Senegal and Happiness
AbstractThis paper uses the framework of subjective wellbeing in order to analyze the welfare implication of rural households involved in modern agri-food supply chain in Senegal. It is argued that small farmers are increasingly excluded from high value commodities chain. There is also evidence that despite increasing standards, vegetable export chain can improve rural households’ welfare through contract farming or by the creation of employment. As an alternative and complementary framework, this paper uses self reported happiness instead of the commonly income-based measure to assess the household welfare. We deal with the potential selection bias of participation. We find that participation in modern agri-export chain as contract farming is not related to happiness. Rather, participation as agro-industry employee is positively and significantly correlated to happiness. There is also no evidence concerning income and relative income effect on happiness. We provide some explanations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland with number 114447.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-10-15 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-HAP-2011-10-15 (Economics of Happiness)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Shilpi, Forhad, 2006.
"Subjective Welfare, Isolation and Relative Consumption,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6002, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Shilpi, Forhad, 2008. "Subjective welfare, isolation, and relative consumption," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 43-60, April.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Forhad Shilpi, 2006. "Subjective Welfare, Isolation, and Relative Consumption," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-056, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Daniel Kahneman & Alan B. Krueger, 2006. "Developments in the Measurement of Subjective Well-Being," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 3-24, Winter.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009.
"Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 161-178, January.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Trade, Standards and Poverty. Evidence from Senegal," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7924, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Miet Maertens & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," LICOS Discussion Papers 17706, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Elizabeth M. M. Q. Farina & Thomas Reardon, 2000. "Agrifood Grades and Standards in the Extended Mercosur: Their Role in the Changing Agrifood System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1170-1176.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/203086 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew E. Clark and Andrew J. Oswald, .
"Satisfaction and Comparison Income,"
Economics Discussion Papers
419, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S., 1999.
"The Changing Distribution of Job Satisfaction,"
IZA Discussion Papers
42, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Geeta Kingdon & John Knight, 2005.
"Community, Comparisons and Subjective Well-being in a Divided Society,"
05095, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- Kingdon, Geeta Gandhi & Knight, John, 2007. "Community, comparisons and subjective well-being in a divided society," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Geeta G. Kingdon & John Knight, 2004. "Community, Comparisons and Subjective Well-being in a Divided Society," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-21, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Geeta Kingdon & John Knight, 2004. "Community, Comparisons and Subjective Well-being in a Divided Society," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-21, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Geeta Kingdon & John Knight, 2004. "Community, Comparisons and Subjective Well-being in a Divided Society," Development and Comp Systems 0409067, EconWPA.
- Easterlin, Richard A, 2001. "Income and Happiness: Towards an Unified Theory," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(473), pages 465-84, July.
- Rafael Di Tella & Robert MacCulloch & Hugo Nopo, 2009. "Happiness and Beliefs in Criminal Environments," Research Department Publications 4605, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- John Knight & Ramani Gunatilaka, 2008. "Aspirations, Adaptation and Subjective Well-Being of Rural-Urban Migrants in China," Economics Series Working Papers 381, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Johannesson, Magnus, 1997.
"The Relationship between Happiness, Health and Socio-economic Factors: Results Based on Swedish Micro Data,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
207, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Johannesson, Magnus, 2001. "The relationship between happiness, health, and socio-economic factors: results based on Swedish microdata," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 553-557.
- Chris Tkach & Sonja Lyubomirsky, 2006. "How Do People Pursue Happiness?: Relating Personality, Happiness-Increasing Strategies, and Well-Being," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 183-225, 06.
- Andrew Clark, 2001.
"Unemployment As A Social Norm: Psychological Evidence from Panel Data,"
DELTA Working Papers
2001-17, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Andrew E. Clark, 2003. "Unemployment as a Social Norm: Psychological Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 289-322, April.
- Bernard M. S. van Praag & P. Frijters & Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell, 2001.
"The Anatomy of Subjective Well-Being,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
265, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Carol Graham, 2005. "Insights on Development from the Economics of Happiness," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 201-231.
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2004.
"How Important is Methodology for the estimates of the determinants of Happiness?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(497), pages 641-659, 07.
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2002. "How important is Methodology for the Estimates of the Determinants of Happiness?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-024/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Powdthavee, Nattavudh, 2003.
"Unhappiness and Crime : Evidence from South Africa,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
685, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ravallion, Martin & Lokshin, Michael, 2001.
"Identifying Welfare Effects from Subjective Questions,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(271), pages 335-57, August.
- Ravallion, Martin & Lokshin, Michael, 2000. "Identifying welfare effects from subjective questions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2301, The World Bank.
- Rafael Di Tella & John Haisken-De New & Robert MacCulloch, 2007.
"Happiness Adaptation to Income and to Status in an Individual Panel,"
NBER Working Papers
13159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Di Tella, Rafael & Haisken-De New, John & MacCulloch, Robert, 2010. "Happiness adaptation to income and to status in an individual panel," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 834-852, December.
- Menno Pradhan & Martin Ravallion, 2000. "Measuring Poverty Using Qualitative Perceptions Of Consumption Adequacy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 462-471, August.
- Bart Minten & Lalaina Randrianarison & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006.
"Global Retail Chains and Poor Farmers: Evidence from Madagascar,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
16406, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Minten, Bart & Randrianarison, Lalaina & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Global Retail Chains and Poor Farmers: Evidence from Madagascar," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1728-1741, November.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/203085 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fischer, Justina AV, 2009. "Subjective Well-Being as Welfare Measure: Concepts and Methodology," MPRA Paper 16619, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McBride, Michael, 2001. "Relative-income effects on subjective well-being in the cross-section," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 251-278, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.