Determinants of Economic Growth in Organic Farming: The Case of Bavaria and Baden-Wuerttemberg
AbstractThe organic sector in Germany has experienced a substantial growth since the beginning of the 1990s until today. During this process of expansion, most organic farms have grown in terms of factor endowment, while others have disappeared or reconverted to conventional agriculture. This paper investigates the potential determinants of farms growth in the organic sector. This paper models potential factors that might have an impact on the economic growth of 332 organic farms in Bavaria and Baden-Wuerttemberg. The econometric model was developed based on ‘Gibrat’s Law’, using a fixed effect method (FE). The results suggest that direct marketing and livestock intensity significantly influence farm growth. In addition, less efficient farms grew faster than more efficient ones. This outcome can be explained by the economic pressure on inefficient firms for adaptation during the growth and survival process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland with number 114270.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
farm-growth; Gibrat’s law; technical efficiency; direct marketing; Farm Management;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kostov, Philip & Patton, Myles & Moss, Joan & McErlean, Seamus, 2006.
"Does Gibrat’s law hold amongst dairy farmers in Northern Ireland?,"
3370, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kostov, Philip & Patton, Myles & Moss, Joan E. & McErlean, Seamus, 2005. "Does Gibrat's Law Hold Amongst Dairy Farmers in Northern Ireland?," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24775, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Evans, David S, 1987. "Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(4), pages 657-74, August.
- José Fariñas & Lourdes Moreno, 2000. "Firms' Growth, Size and Age: A Nonparametric Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 249-265, November.
- Villatora, Mario & Langemeier, Michael R., 2005. "Factors Impacting Farm Growth," 2005 Annual Meeting, February 5-9, 2005, Little Rock, Arkansas 35547, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Offermann, Frank & Nieberg, Hiltrud & Zander, Katrin, 2009. "Dependency of organic farms on direct payments in selected EU member states: Today and tomorrow," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 273-279, June.
- Audretsch, David B. & Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 1999. "Start-up size and industrial dynamics: some evidence from Italian manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 965-983, October.
- Christoph R. Weiss, 1999. "Farm Growth and Survival: Econometric Evidence for Individual Farms in Upper Austria," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 103-116.
- Bremmer, Johan & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Olson, Kent D. & Baltussen, Willy H.M. & Huirne, Ruud B.M., 2002. "Analysis of Farm Development in Dutch Agriculture and Horticulture," 13th Congress, Wageningen, The Netherlands, July 7-12, 2002 7025, International Farm Management Association.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Cornelis Gardebroek & Kedir N. Turi & Jo H.M. Wijnands, 2010. "Growth dynamics of dairy processing firms in the European Union," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(3-4), pages 285-291, 05.
- Ayal Kimhi, 2000. "Is Part-Time Farming Really a Step in the Way Out of Agricultural?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 38-48.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.