The Effects of a "Fat Tax" on the Nutrient Intake of French Households
AbstractThis article assesses the effects of a "fat tax" on the nutrient intake of French households across different income groups using a method that estimates the nutrient elasticities of French households. We estimate a complete demand system by aggregating an individual demand system over cohorts. The use of a cohort model is justified by the incompleteness of our data. We find that a "fat tax" would have ambiguous and extremely small effects on the nutrient intake of French households, and its associated economic welfare costs would be similarly weak.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium with number 43967.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Household survey data; demand system; nutrient elasticities.; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R, Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1997.
"Estimation in Large and Dissagregated Demand Systems : An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems,"
97-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Blundell, Richard & Robin, Jean Marc, 1999. "Estimation in Large and Disaggregated Demand Systems: An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 209-32, May-June.
- Blundell & Robin, 1999. "Estimation in large and disaggregated demand systems : an estimator for conditionally linear systems," Working Papers 156380, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1999. "Estimation in large and disaggregated demand systems: an estimator for conditionally linear systems," Working Papers 249982, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Verbeek, Marno & Nijman, Theo, 1992.
"Can Cohort Data Be Treated as Genuine Panel Data?,"
Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 9-23.
- Verbeek, M. & Nijman, T., 1990. "Can Cohort Data Be Treated As Genuine Panel Data," Papers 9064, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Nijman, T.E. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 1992. "Can cohort data be treated as genuine panal data?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153281, Tilburg University.
- Verbeek, M.J.C.M. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Can cohort data be treated as genuine panel data?," Discussion Paper 1990-64, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Beatty, Timothy K. M. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T, 2005.
"U.S. Demand for Food and Nutrition in the 20th Century,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt41f3z7cd, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Beatty, Timothy K. M. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T, 2005. "U.S. demand for food and nutrition in the 20th century," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1002R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy, revised Aug 2005.
- Fred Kuchler & Abebayehu Tegene & J. Michael Harris, 2005. "Taxing Snack Foods: Manipulating Diet Quality or Financing Information Programs?," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(1), pages 4-20.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & W. Michael Hanemann, 1989. "The Dual Structure of Incomplete Demand Systems," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series archive-21, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Huang, Kuo S. & Lin, Biing-Hwan, 2000. "Estimation Of Food Demand And Nutrient Elasticities From Household Survey Data," Technical Bulletins 33579, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Andrew Chesher, 1997. "Diet Revealed?: Semiparametric Estimation of Nutrient Intake-Age Relationships," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 160(3), pages 389-428.
- Timothy K.M. Beatty & Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 2005. "United States Demand for Food and Nutrition in the Twentieth Century," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1159-1166.
- Alston, Julian M. & Chalfant, James A. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 2001. "Incorporating demand shifters in the Almost Ideal demand system," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 73-78, January.
- Chouinard, Hayley H & Davis, David E. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T. & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 2005. "The Effects of a Fat Tax on Dairy Products," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt60t1f3tn, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Kuo S. Huang, 1996. "Nutrient Elasticities in a Complete Food Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 21-29.
- Patrice Bertail & France Caillavet, 2008. "Fruit and Vegetable Consumption Patterns: A Segmentation Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(3), pages 827-842.
- Xavier Irz, 2010.
"Modeling physical quantities of food and nutrients consumed from aggregate data-with an application to Finland,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(3-4), pages 293-304, 05.
- Irz, Xavier T., 2009. "Modelling physical quantities of food and nutrients consumed from aggregate data – with an application to Finland," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50324, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rodrigo Mantaut Leifert & Claudio Ribeiro De Lucinda, 2014. "Análise Dos Efeitos De Um Imposto Sobrealimentos Engordativos No Mercado Brasileiro," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 123, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.