An experimental study of wine consumers’ willingness to pay for environmental characteristics
AbstractThe reduction of pesticides use is becoming a priority for the public authorities in many countries. We conducted an experiment with wine consumers to see whether end-consumers value the dissemination of information about environmentally-friendly production practices. The experiment was devised to (i) evaluate whether there is a premium for environmentally-friendly wines, (ii) determine whether or not consumers are sensitive to label owners who implement and guarantee the environmental actions, (iii) and assess the impact of public messages about the consequences of pesticide use. Some 139 participants were divided randomly into two groups. One group had no specific information about the current state of pesticide use in farming. The other group was given information about pesticide use in farming before making their valuations. Becker-DeGroot-Marshak mechanisms revealed that (i) the environmental signal is valued differently depending on who conveyed the information, and that (ii)dissemination of information about the environmental repercussions of farming methods does not significantly affect willingness-to-pay.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium with number 43651.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Willingness to pay; Wine; Effect of information; Experimental economics; Environment; Demand and Price Analysis; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2008-11-25 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2008-11-25 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-EXP-2008-11-25 (Experimental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Florax, Raymond J.G.M. & Travisi, Chiara M. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2005.
"A Meta-Analysis of the Willingness to Pay for Reductions in Pesticide Risk Exposure,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19524, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Raymond J. G. M. Florax & Chiara M. Travisi & Peter Nijkamp, 2005. "A meta-analysis of the willingness to pay for reductions in pesticide risk exposure," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 441-467, December.
- Chiara M. Travisi & Peter Nijkamp & Raymond J. G. M. Florax, 2004. "A Meta-Analysis of the Willingness to Pay for Reductions in Pesticide Risk Exposure," Working Papers 2004.101, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Cranfield, John A.L. & Magnusson, Erik, 2003. "Canadian Consumer's Willingness-To-Pay For Pesticide Free Food Products: An Ordered Probit Analysis," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 6(04).
- Lusk,Jayson L. & Shogren,Jason F., 2007.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521671248, October.
- Loureiro, Maria L., 2003. "Rethinking new wines: implications of local and environmentally friendly labels," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5-6), pages 547-560.
- Noussair, Charles & Robin, Stephane & Ruffieux, Bernard, 2004.
"Revealing consumers' willingness-to-pay: A comparison of the BDM mechanism and the Vickrey auction,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 725-741, December.
- Noussair, C.N. & Ruffieux, B. & Robin , S., 2004. "Revealing consumers' willingness to pay: A comparison of the BDM mechanism and the vickrey auction," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-377937, Tilburg University.
- Delmas, Magali A. & Grant, Laura E., 2008. "Eco-Labeling Strategies: The Eco-Premium Puzzle In The Wine Industry," Working Papers 37325, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1994.
"Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept,"
Staff General Research Papers
701, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Seung Y. Shin & Dermot J. Hayes & James B. Kliebenstein, 1994. "Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 255-70, March.
- Charles Noussair & Stéphane Robin & Bernard Ruffieux, 2001. "Comportement des consommateurs face aux aliments «avec OGM» et «sans OGM»: une étude expérimentale," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 266(1), pages 30-44.
- Misra, Sukant K. & Huang, Chung L. & Ott, Stephen L., 1991. "Consumer Willingness To Pay For Pesticide-Free Fresh Produce," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Anne Rozan, 2004. "Willingness-to-pay for food safety: an experimental investigation of quality certification on bidding behaviour," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(4), pages 409-425, December.
- Jason F. Shogren & John A. Fox, 1996. "Consumer Preferences for Fresh Food Items with Multiple Quality Attributes: Evidence from an Experimental Auction of Pork Chops," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 916-923.
- Erik Magnusson & J. A. L. Cranfield, 2005. "Consumer Demand for Pesticide Free Food Products in Canada: A Probit Analysis," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 53(1), pages 67-81, 03.
- Roosen, Jutta & Fox, John A. & Hennessy, David A. & Schreiber, Alan, 1998. "Consumers' Valuation Of Insecticide Use Restrictions: An Application To Apples," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Schmit, Todd M. & Taber, John T. & Rickard, Bradley J., 2012. "Consumer valuation of environmentally friendly production practices in wines considering asymmetric information and sensory effects," Working Papers 128813, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Patrick Etievant & France Bellisle & Jean Dallongeville & Fabrice Etile & Elisabeth Guichard & Martine PADILLA & Monique Romon-Rousseaux, 2010. "Les comportements alimentaires. Quels en sont les dÃ©terminants ? Quelles actions, pour quels effets ? [Rapport d'expertise]," Working Papers 37803, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.