Regional Distribution of Short-Run, Medium-Run and Long-Run Quota Rents Across EU-15 Milk Producers
AbstractThis paper evaluates the distribution of short- and long-run marginal costs and quota rents across the EU-15 milk producers, by estimating a system of cost and input share equations on a panel data of dairy farms from 1996 to 2001. Regional and geographical location and the size of milk operations have been considered as the major factors affecting marginal costs. The results on quota rents highlights that Italian and Greek dairy farmers receive the highest economic rent (260 €/ton), while in Portugal the lowest (101 €/Kg) at least in the short-run. This is an indication that Italian and Greek milk supply would be the least 'sensitive' to a reduction in the intervention price. Several countries show negative long-run quota rents, indicating that in the long-run current market prices influence dairy farm's production plans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark with number 24615.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
dairy; quota rents; marginal costs; Livestock Production/Industries; C21; Q13; Q18;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lelyon, Baptiste & Daniel, Karine & Chatellier, Vincent, 2008. "Decoupling and prices: determinant of dairy farmers’ choices? A model to analyse impacts of the 2003 CAP reform," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44250, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lelyon, Baptiste & Chatellier, Vincent & Daniel, Karine, 2008. "Milk Quotas Abolishment And Simplification Of The Single Payment Scheme: Implications On Dairy Farmers’ Productive Strategy In The West Of France," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44795, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Jogeneel, Roel & Requillart, Vincent, 2008. "Removing EU milk quotas, soft landing versus hard landing," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43656, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Ali-Kein, Hela Hadj & Jongeneel, Roelof A. & Tonini, Axel & Requillart, Vincent, 2005.
"EU Dairy Sector: Impact of Luxemburg Reform, EU Enlargement and Trade Negotiations,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24581, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Z. & Hadj-Ali Kein, H. & Jongeneel, R. & Tonini, A. Réquillart, V., 2005. "EU Dairy sector : impact of Luxemburg reform, EU enlargement and trade negotiations," Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse) 200520, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Baptiste Lelyon & Vincent Chatellier & Karine Daniel, 2011. "Decoupling and prices: determinant of dairy farmers’ choices?," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 92(1), pages 47-68.
- Rajsic, Predrag, 2013. "Cost Structure of the Ontario Dairy Industry Revisited: Distributional Aspects," Working Papers 157407, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Casasnovas, Valero L. & Aldanondo, Ana Maria, 2011. "Influence of Animal Feeding on Milk Supply in Navarre," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114316, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mariusz Hamulczuk & Katarzyna Hertel, 2009. "Implications of the Abolition of Milk Quota System for Polish Agriculture – Simulation Results Based on the AG MEMOD Model," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 3(3), September.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Réquillart, Vincent & Soregaroli, Claudio & Trévisiol, Audrey, 2008.
"Demand for dairy products in the EU,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 644-656, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.