Targeting And Spatial Impacts Of Agri-Environmental Support – Spatial Econometric Analysis Of Agri–Environmental Measures In Slovenia
AbstractThe paper presents results of a spatial analysis of agri-environmental (A-E) measures in Slovenia. Spatial targeting and spatial patterns of A-E schemes are analyzed by a combination of exploratory spatial data analysis and spatial econometrics. Results suggest that A-E schemes in Slovenia are poorly spatially targeted against environmental priorities and needs in terms of water and biodiversity protection. This can be attributed to the fact that the most widely implemented A-E schemes in the country are implemented horizontally, with no spatially explicit criteria. Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis reveals spatial clusters of participation in A-E schemes, which is additionally confirmed by the results of the spatial econometric analysis. Participation in A-E schemes in general decreases with the average farm size of the area, and increases with per hectare CAP Pillar I payment rights and EAFRD payments. On the other hand, results of the spatial econometric analysis suggest that participation in organic farming appears to be a rational choice in areas with prevailing extensive, grassland-based farming. Results therefore suggest that farms maximize revenues from A-E schemes. Spatial clustering of areas with respect to the participation in A-E schemes occurs also in the absence of explicit spatial targeting and is closely linked with potential revenues from this source.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 132nd Seminar, October 25-27, 2012, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia with number 139491.
Date of creation: 25 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Rural development policy 2007-2013; Agri-environmental payments; spatial econometrics; Agricultural and Food Policy; Environmental Economics and Policy; Q180; R580; C2;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-01-07 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2013-01-07 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vaclav Vojtech, 2010. "Policy Measures Addressing Agri-environmental Issues," OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers 24, OECD Publishing.
- Jussi Lankoski & Erik Lichtenberg & Markku Ollikainen, 2010.
"Agri-Environmental Program Compliance in a Heterogeneous Landscape,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 47(1), pages 1-22, September.
- Lankoski, Jussi E. & Lichtenberg, Erik & Ollikainen, Markku, 2008. "Agri-Environmental Program Compliance in a Heterogeneous Landscape," Working Papers 37797, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.