Assessing the Impact of Recent Trade Policy Changes in the Banana Market under Alternative Market Structures
AbstractThe paper focuses on the importance of the assumptions made about market structure and firm behaviors in empirical trade policy analysis. It does it with reference to the most recent changes in the EU import regime for bananas, namely the Economic Partnership Agreements and the December 2009 WTO agreement on bananas. The paper’s contribution to the literature on the issues addressed is threefold: it develops two original models which incorporate imperfectly competitive market structures in a spatial modeling framework; it provides an assessment of the degree of market power in international banana trade and, finally, it assesses how the analysis of the implications of the most recent changes in the EU import regimes for bananas is affected by the assumptions made regarding the prevailing market structure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy with number 98985.
Date of creation: 10 Feb 2011
Date of revision:
Bananas; Economic Partnership Agreements; WTO; Agricultural and Food Policy; International Relations/Trade; Q17; Q18; F13;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-03-05 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2011-03-05 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Tongeren, Frank & van Meijl, Hans & Surry, Yves, 2001. "Global models applied to agricultural and trade policies: a review and assessment," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 149-172, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.