Sustainability assessment of olive grove in Andalusia: A methodological proposal
AbstractRecently the olive sector has had important changes in Andalusia due to both the enlargement and the intensification of farming. The expansion of the olive grove in Andalusia is causing sustainability problems, not only from the socio-economic dimension (profit reduction) but environmental (erosion, water pollution or biodiversity losses). The main objective of this study is to develop a methodology to analyse the sustainability of the olive grove farms in Andalusia. This methodology will allow us to bear with the three dimensions of sustainability (economic, social and environmental) as well as to obtain a precise diagnosis of the olive grove through a selection of a set of indicators. This methodology will be applied in future research works in order to build a basis to help both decision-making processes and implementation of public policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete with number 109323.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Olive tree; Sustainability; Indicators; Agricultural and Food Policy; Crop Production/Industries; Environmental Economics and Policy; Farm Management; Land Economics/Use; Production Economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pannell, David J. & Glenn, Nicole A., 2000. "A framework for the economic evaluation and selection of sustainability indicators in agriculture," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 135-149, April.
- Lynam, John K. & Herdt, Robert W., 1989. "Sense and sustainability: Sustainability as an objective in international agricultural research," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 3(4), pages 381-398, December.
- Byerlee, Derek & Murgai, Rinku, 2001. "Sense and sustainability revisited: the limits of total factor productivity measures of sustainable agricultural systems," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 227-236, December.
- James Vercammen, 2007. "Farm bankruptcy risk as a link between direct payments and agricultural investment," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(4), pages 479-500, December.
- Arriaza Balmon, Manuel & Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Kallas, Zein & Nekhay, Olexandr, 2008. "Demand for non-commodity outputs from mountain olive groves," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9(1), January.
- Ness, Barry & Urbel-Piirsalu, Evelin & Anderberg, Stefan & Olsson, Lennart, 2007. "Categorising tools for sustainability assessment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 498-508, January.
- van Calker, K.J. & Berentsen, P.B.M. & Romero, C. & Giesen, G.W.J. & Huirne, R.B.M., 2006. "Development and application of a multi-attribute sustainability function for Dutch dairy farming systems," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 640-658, June.
- Walter, Christof & Stützel, Hartmut, 2009. "A new method for assessing the sustainability of land-use systems (I): Identifying the relevant issues," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1275-1287, March.
- Byerlee, Derek & Murgai, Rinku, 2001. "Sense and sustainability revisited: the limits of total factor productivity measures of sustainable agricultural systems," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 26(3), December.
- Van Passel, Steven & Nevens, Frank & Mathijs, Erik & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2007. "Measuring farm sustainability and explaining differences in sustainable efficiency," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 149-161, April.
- Yoram Wind & Thomas L. Saaty, 1980. "Marketing Applications of the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 641-658, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.