The dimensions of social capital and rural development: evidence from Water Communities in the Republic of Macedonia
AbstractDrawing on Nahapiet and Ghoshal's (1998) distinction between the structural, relational, and cognitive dimensions of social capital, this paper analyses the performance of Water Communities (WCs) in the Bregalnica region of the Republic of Macedonia. WCs are farmer-managed local irrigation systems which are critical to livelihoods in Bregalnica. Data on the performance of the WCs and role of social capital was collected via in-depth interviews and a farm survey (n=249) of both members and non-members. Results highlight the importance of social capital in explaining the decision to join a WC, the satisfaction of members with their WC, and payment behaviour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 118th Seminar, August 25-27, 2010, Ljubljana, Slovenia with number 94916.
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
social capital; rural development; irrigation; rural development; Community/Rural/Urban Development; O13; P32; Q15;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- P32 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Collectives; Communes; Agricultural Institutions
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-SOC-2010-11-13 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-TRA-2010-11-13 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.