School Quality And Property Values In Greenville, South Carolina
AbstractThis study estimates the impact of school quality on property values within the city limits of Greenville, South Carolina. This study differs from others in its use of a relative, rather than an absolute measure of school quality. We apply a hedonic pricing model to estimate the impact of K-12 rankings on the real constant-quality housing values. Based on 3,731 housing transactions carried out from 1994 to 2000, our results suggest that those who choose to live within the city limits of the study pay a premium to live in high quality school attendance areas. Therefore, high-ranked schools have values capitalized into single-family house prices. Further, greater distance to assigned K-12 schools has a negative impact on the value of the property.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Clemson University, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics in its series Working Papers with number 18809.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Brasington, 2000. "Demand and Supply of Public School Quality in Metropolitan Areas: The Role of Private Schools," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 583-605.
- Espey, Molly & Owusu-Edusei, Kwame, 2001. "Neighborhood Parks And Residential Property Values In Greenville, South Carolina," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(03), December.
- David M. Brasington, 1999. "Which Measures of School Quality Does the Housing Market Value?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 18(3), pages 395-414.
- Clotfelter, Charles T, 1975. "The Effect of School Desegregation on Housing Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(4), pages 446-51, November.
- Haurin, Donald R. & Brasington, David, 1996. "School Quality and Real House Prices: Inter- and Intrametropolitan Effects," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 351-368, December.
- Chugunov, D., 2013. "Impact of School Quality and Neighborhoods on Housing Prices in Moscow," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 87-112.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.