Seasonality and Costs of Production on Irish dairy farms from 2000-2007
AbstractThis paper examines the relationship between calving date and production costs on Irish dairy farms from 2000-2007. Using data from the National Farm Survey, the median calving dates of 400 dairy farms are studied each year using econometric analysis to determine the relationship between calving date and production costs. Farms are divided into five categories according to their median calving date. These categories are imputed into a panel dataset as dummy variables. Unobservable individual effects are controlled for using a fixed effect model; examples of such effects are land quality and managerial ability, Results suggest that when scale and those unobserved effects are controlled for, there was no significant difference in total cost of production per litre according to median calving date
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural Economics Society in its series 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland with number 51076.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Seasonality; Fixed effect; Calving date; Production Economics;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-08-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2009-08-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David A. Hennessy & Jutta Roosen, 2003.
"Cost-Based Model of Seasonal Production, with Application to Milk Policy, A,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
03-wp323, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Hennessy, David A. & Roosen, Jutta, 2003. "Cost-Based Model of Seasonal Production, with Application to Milk Policy, A," Staff General Research Papers 10176, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy & Jutta Roosen, 2003. "Cost-Based Model of Seasonal Production, with Application to Milk Policy, A," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 03-wp323, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Washington, Andrew A. & Larson, Robert W., Jr. & Kilmer, Richard L., 1999.
"Practices Used By Dairy Farmers To Reduce Seasonal Production Variability,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21500, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Weldon, Richard N. & Kilmer, Richard L. & Washington, Andrew A., 2002. "Practices Used by Dairy Farmers to Reduce Seasonal Production Variability," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(1), April.
- Kaiser, Harry M. & Oltenacu, Pascal A. & Smith, Terry R., 1988. "The Effects Of Alternative Seasonal Price Differentials On Milk Production In New York," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 17(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.