Institutional Perspectives Of Enhancing Smallholder Market Access In South Africa
AbstractThere is growing evidence that many smallholder farmers can benefit from market-oriented agriculture. However, smallholders often face a number of barriers to accessing the markets. Smallholder market access is much cited as a factor that exacerbates the smallholder situation but little researched. This issue cannot be addressed completely without taking a holistic perspective that also takes into account the global trends in economic transformation that have a direct bearing on the current smallholder market access situation. A growing number of scholars advocate the need for an institutional analysis in trying to understand these issues
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural Economic Association of South Africa (AEASA) in its series 2003 Annual Conference, October 2-3, 2003, Pretoria, South Africa with number 19077.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Farm Management; Industrial Organization; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kherallah, Mylène & Kirsten, Johann, 2001.
"The new institutional economics,"
MTID discussion papers
41, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Huang, Qiuqiong & Rozelle, Scott & Lohmar, Bryan & Huang, Jikun & Wang, Jinxia, 2006.
"Irrigation, agricultural performance and poverty reduction in China,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 30-52, February.
- Huang, Qiuqiong & Rozelle, Scott & Huang, Jikun & Wang, Jinxia, 2002. "Irrigation, Agricultural Performance And Poverty Reduction In China," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19605, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bryceson, Deborah Fahy, 2002. "The Scramble in Africa: Reorienting Rural Livelihoods," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 725-739, May.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Hopkins, Jane & Kelly , Valerie & Hazell, P. B. R. & McKenna, Anna A. & Gruhn, Peter & Hojjati, Behjat & Sil, Jayashree & Courbois, Claude, 1998. "Agricultural growth linkages in Sub-Saharan Africa:," Research reports 107, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- J. Zyl & T. I. Fényes & N. Vink, 1992. "Effects Of The Farmer Support Programme And Changes In Marketing Policies On Maize Production In South Africa," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 466-476.
- Brinkerhoff, Derick W. & Goldsmith, Arthur A., 1992. "Promoting the sustainability of development institutions: A framework for strategy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 369-383, March.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Delgado, Christopher L. & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minot, Nicholas & Johnson, Michael, 2002. "Reforming agricultural markets in Africa," Food policy statements 38, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jayne, T. S. & Govereh, J. & Mwanaumo, A. & Nyoro, J. K. & Chapoto, A., 2002. "False Promise or False Premise? The Experience of Food and Input Market Reform in Eastern and Southern Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1967-1985, November.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966.
- Barham, James & Chitemi, Clarence, 2009. "Collective action initiatives to improve marketing performance: Lessons from farmer groups in Tanzania," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 53-59, February.
- Barham, James & Chitemi, Clarence, 2008. "Collective action initiatives to improve marketing performance: Lessons from farmer groups in Tanzania," CAPRi working papers 74, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- van der Merwe, J.D. & Cloete, Philip C. & van Schalkwyk, Herman D., 2010. "Budget Allocation for Rural Agricultural Development in the NWP: A Multiple Criteria Analysis," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 96435, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.