From Wine Production to Wine Tourism Experience: The Case of Italy
AbstractTypical products, mainly local food and wine, are considered suitable features to characterise the tourist supply of a destination and in many cases they are a major attraction of a territory. These products contain a strong reference to the territory in which they are produced. They simultaneously represent on the market a geographic area, its traditions and its cultural heritage, they identify a local community and its identity as well. Therefore typical products can be defined as ‘territorial intensive products’ (TIPs). Wine tourism represents the most innovative phenomenon of the more general tourism supply created around a TIP and certainly the most evident. The paper considers the importance of quality wine in Italy in helping to create the tourist supply of different territories through the creation of the Wine and Food Routes (WFRs) that represent a particular kind of tourist thematic itineraries. The paper confirms that quality wines are the ‘driver’ of WFRs creating a model of socioeconomic district.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Association of Wine Economists in its series Working Papers with number 56206.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-01-23 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2010-01-23 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-MKT-2010-01-23 (Marketing)
- NEP-TUR-2010-01-23 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miranda Escolar, Belen & Fernández Morueco, Ricardo, 2011. "Vino, turismo e innovación: Las Rutas del Vino de España, una estrategia integrada de desarrollo rural/Wine, Tourism and Innovation: The Wine Routes of Spain, an Integrated Strategy of Rural Develop," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 129-164, Abril.
- Privitera, Donatella, 2010. "Heritage and wine as tourist attractions in rural areas," 116th Seminar, October 27-30, 2010, Parma, Italy 95216, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Borowiecki, Karol Jan & Castiglione, Concetta, 2012. "Cultural participation and tourism flows: An empirical investigation of Italian provinces," Discussion Papers of Business and Economics 21/2012, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.