Seasonal variability and a farmer's supply response to protein permiums and discounts
AbstractThis article extends the analysis of the impact of a system of protein premiums and discounts to that on a farmerâs planned production. Despite an unambiguously negative impact on expected profits of equally likely premiums and discounts, supply response to the introduction of such a system is shown to depend on the level of seasonal variability faced by the farmer. In particular, farmers in regions which are more seasonally unreliable are likely to feature a negative supply response, whereas those in regions which are more seasonally reliable are likely to feature a positive supply response. Consequently, it is suggested that, overall, protein payments for wheat may have encouraged a shift of wheatâgrowing activity away from more seasonally unreliable areas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 1997 Conference (41st), January 22-24, 1997, Gold Coast, Australia with number 135756.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Fraser, Rob W., 1998. "Seasonal variability and a farmer's supply response to protein premiums and discounts," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(1), March.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fraser, Rob W., 1997. "Seasonal variability, land values and willingness-to-pay for a forward wheat contract with protein premiums and discounts," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 41(2), June.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Dillon, John L. & Hazell, Peter B.R. & Cowie, A.J. & Wan, G.H., 1988. "Changing Variability in Cereal Production in Australia," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 56(03), December.
- Fraser, Rob W., 1988. "A Method For Evaluating Supply Response To Price Underwriting," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 32(01), April.
- Roman Keeney & Thomas W. Hertel, 2008. "U.S. Market Potential For Dried Distillers Grain With Solubles," Working Papers 08-13, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Farquharson, Robert J. & Cacho, Oscar J. & Turpin, J.E., 2000. "Agricultural response analysis in a longer term framework," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 123634, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.