Measuring Groundwater Irrigation Efficiency in Pakistan: A DEA Approach Using the Sub-vector and Slack-based Models
AbstractWe estimate the efficiency of groundwater use in cotton production in the Punjab province of Pakistan. We use a survey data of 189 cotton producers comprising 98 tube-well owners and 91 water buyers in order to get the differential impact of tube-well ownership on groundwater use efficiency. We use data envelopment analysis to compute the technical, scale, cost and allocative efficiencies for tube-well owners and water buyers relative to a meta-frontier and groupfrontiers. The DEA sub-vector and slack-based models are used to compute groundwater use efficiency. The results indicate low levels of technical inefficiencies with water buyers being more inefficient relative to tube-well owners. However, groundwater use inefficiency is more pronounced than the respective technical efficiency. The sub-vector and slack-based estimates are highly correlated suggesting the robustness of the results. The results on returns to scale indicate that the majority of cotton growers are operating at increasing returns to scale, suggesting that efficiency can be improved by expanding the scale of operation. We use a second-stage bootstrap truncated regression to investigate the factors that influence technical efficiency and groundwater use efficiency. We find that the level of education, seed quality and extension services have positive significant impacts on technical and groundwater use efficiency. We suggest that knowledge of crop water requirements and the use of improved crop varieties can play role in improving the efficiency of groundwater use.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia with number 152204.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Pakistan; groundwater use efficiency; groundwater markets; technical efficiency; DEA; sub-vector; slack-based model; meta-frontier; Crop Production/Industries; International Development; International Relations/Trade; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-07-15 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2013-07-15 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-EFF-2013-07-15 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanan G. Jacoby & Rinku Murgai & Saeed Rehman, 2004.
"Monopoly Power and Distribution in Fragmented Markets: The Case of Groundwater,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71, pages 783-808, 07.
- Hanan G. Jacoby & Rinku Murgai & Saeed Ur Rehman, 2004. "Monopoly Power and Distribution in Fragmented Markets: The Case of Groundwater," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(3), pages 783-808.
- Jacoby, Hanan G. & Murgai, Rinku & Rehman, Saeed Ur, 2001. "Monopoly power and distribution in fragmented markets : the case of groundwater," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2628, The World Bank.
- Johnson, R., 1989. "Private tube well development in Pakistan's Punjab: Review of past public programs/policies and relevant research," IWMI Books, Reports H005719, International Water Management Institute.
- Abdul Wadud & Ben White, 2000. "Farm household efficiency in Bangladesh: a comparison of stochastic frontier and DEA methods," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(13), pages 1665-1673.
- Shah, Tushaar & Molden, David J. & Sakthivadivel, Ramasamy & Seckler, David, 2000. "The global groundwater situation: overview of opportunities and challenges," IWMI Books, International Water Management Institute, number 113506.
- McDonald, John, 2009. "Using least squares and tobit in second stage DEA efficiency analyses," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(2), pages 792-798, September.
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela, 1996. "Groundwater markets in Pakistan: participation and productivity," Research reports 105, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Shah, T. & Molden, D. & Sakthivadivel, R. & Seckler, D., 2000. "The global groundwater situation: Overview of opportunities and challenges," IWMI Books, Reports H025885, International Water Management Institute.
- Banerji, A. & Meenakshi, J.V. & Khanna, Gauri, 2012.
"Social contracts, markets and efficiency: Groundwater irrigation in North India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 228-237.
- Abhijit Banerji & Gauri Khanna & J. V. Meenakshi, 2010. "Social Contracts, Markets And Efficiency -- Groundwater Irrigation In North India," Working papers 183, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Frija, Aymen & Chebil, Ali & Speelman, Stijn & Buysse, Jeroen & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2009. "Water use and technical efficiencies in horticultural greenhouses in Tunisia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(11), pages 1509-1516, November.
- George Battese & D. Rao & Christopher O'Donnell, 2004. "A Metafrontier Production Function for Estimation of Technical Efficiencies and Technology Gaps for Firms Operating Under Different Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-103, January.
- M. Jamil Chaudhry, 1990. "The Adoption of Tubewell Technology in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 29(3 and 4), pages 291-303.
- Alene, Arega D. & Zeller, Manfred, 2005. "Technology adoption and farmer efficiency in multiple crops production in eastern Ethiopia: A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(1), January.
- Qureshi, A. S. & Shah, T. & Akhtar, M, 2003. "The groundwater economy of Pakistan," IWMI Working Papers H033572, International Water Management Institute.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Lilienfeld, Amy & Asmild, Mette, 2007. "Estimation of excess water use in irrigated agriculture: A Data Envelopment Analysis approach," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-3), pages 73-82, December.
- A. Assaf & K. M. Matawie, 2010. "A bootstrapped metafrontier model," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 613-617.
- Tim Coelli & Sanzidur Rahman & Colin Thirtle, 2002. "Technical, Allocative, Cost and Scale Efficiencies in Bangladesh Rice Cultivation: A Non-parametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 607-626.
- Johnson, Robert, 1989. "Private tube well development in Pakistan's Punjab: review of past public programs/policies and relevant research," IWMI Books, International Water Management Institute, number 138626.
- G. Karagiannis & V. Tzouvelekas & A. Xepapadeas, 2003. "Measuring Irrigation Water Efficiency with a Stochastic Production Frontier," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 57-72, September.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2011. "Two-stage DEA: caveat emptor," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 205-218, October.
- Thiam, Abdourahmane & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Rivas, Teodoro E., 2001. "Technical efficiency in developing country agriculture: a meta-analysis," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 235-243, September.
- Banerji A & Meenakshi J V & Gauri Khanna, 2007. "Groundwater Irrigation in North India: Institutions and Markets," Working Papers id:899, eSocialSciences.
- Srivastava, S.K. & Kumar, Ranjit & Singh, R.P., 2009. "Extent of Groundwater Extraction and Irrigation Efficiency on Farms under Different Water-market Regimes in Central Uttar Pradesh," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 22(1).
- Basanta R. Dhungana & Peter L. Nuthall & Gilbert V. Nartea, 2004. "Measuring the economic inefficiency of Nepalese rice farms using data envelopment analysis," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), pages 347-369, 06.
- A. Parikh & K. Shah, 1994. "Measurement Of Technical Efficiency In The North-West Frontier Province Of Pakistan," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 132-138.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Riesgo, Laura, 2004. "Irrigation water pricing: differential impacts on irrigated farms," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(1), pages 47-66, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.