The Costs and Benefits of Effluent Management Compliance in the Waikato Region of New Zealand
AbstractDairy farming in the Waikato Region has contributed greatly to the reduction of water quality. Part of this is attributable to the issue of inappropriate disposal of dairy effluent. Regional authority data shows both costs and benefits of complying with effluent management regulations. Private costs result from system and management improvements, while private benefits are largely due to reduced fertiliser requirements. Decreases in the volume of 'non-compliant effluent', resulting from improved compliance, are used as an indicator to illustrate reduced environmental effects. The benefits of becoming compliant outweigh the costs for half the farms analysed. More incentives are required to promote compliance from the other farms although their environmental effects are generally smaller.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia with number 48032.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www4.agr.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
Dairy farming; environment; effluent; compliance; cost; benefit.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cullen, Ross & Hughey, Kenneth F.D. & Kerr, Geoffrey N., 2006.
"Public Perceptions of New Zealand's Environment,"
2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand
31958, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Cullen, Ross & Hughey, Kenneth F.D. & Kerr, Geoffrey N., 2006. "Public Perceptions of New Zealand's Environment," 2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand 31958, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Hayley H. Chouinard & Tobias Paterson & Philip R. Wandschneider & Adrienne M. Ohler, 2008. "Will Farmers Trade Profits for Stewardship? Heterogeneous Motivations for Farm Practice Selection," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(1), pages 66-82.
- Takatsuka, Yuki & Cullen, Ross & Wilson, Matthew & Wratten, Steve D., 2007. "Values of Ecosystem Services Associated with Intense Dairy Farming in New Zealand," 2007 Conference (51st), February 13-16, 2007, Queenstown, New Zealand 10411, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Tait, Peter R. & Cullen, Ross, 2006. "Some External Costs of Dairy Farming in Canterbury," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 109595, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.