Preferences, Norms and Constraints in farmers' agro-ecological choices. Case study using a choice experiments survey in the Rhone River Delta, France
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to elicit the sensitivity of farmers to payments for agro-environmental services in a context of strong agro-ecological and policy constraints. We present results from a choice experiment survey performed among the whole population of agricultural decision-makers (104) in the Camargue area. Several econometric models have been estimated, the most significant being the Latent Classes one. The estimated parameters of the utility function, together with the parameter associated with the monetary attribute provided the monetary value of each relevant agro-ecological attribute and the associated outcomes (average and risk yield).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia with number 47948.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www4.agr.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
Agricultural Technological Choices; Agro-environmental measures; Policy Instruments design; Choice Experiments; Sample Selection Model; Latent classes Model; Random Parameter Model; Rice production; Labelling; Organic farming;
Other versions of this item:
- Mélanie Jaeck & Robert Lifran, 2009. "Preferences, Norms and Constraints in farmers' agro-ecological choices. Case study using choice experiments survey in the Rhone River Delta, France," Working Papers 09-16, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Dec 2009.
- NEP-AGR-2009-03-28 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2009-03-28 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ENV-2009-03-28 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Birol, Ekin & Villalba, Eric Rayn & Smale, Melinda, 2007.
"Farmer preferences for Milpa diversity and genetically modified maize in Mexico: A latent class approach,"
IFPRI discussion papers
726, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Birol, Ekin & Villalba, Eric Rayn & Smale, Melinda, 2009. "Farmer preferences for milpa diversity and genetically modified maize in Mexico: a latent class approach," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(04), pages 521-540, August.
- Matin Qaim & Alain de Janvry, 2003. "Genetically Modified Crops, Corporate Pricing Strategies, and Farmers' Adoption: The Case of Bt Cotton in Argentina," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 814-828.
- P. Dupraz & D. Vermersch & B. De Frahan & L. Delvaux, 2003.
"The Environmental Supply of Farm Households: A Flexible Willingness to Accept Model,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(2), pages 171-189, June.
- Dupraz & Vermersch & Henry de Fraham & Delvaux, 2003. "The environmental supply of farm households : a flexible willingness to accept model," Working Papers 155614, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Batz, Franz-J. & Janssen, Willem & Peters, Kurt J., 2003. "Predicting technology adoption to improve research priority--setting," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 151-164, March.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981.
"Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model,"
292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984. "Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-40, September.
- Roessler, Regina & Drucker, Adam G. & Scarpa, Riccardo & Markemann, André & Lemke, Ute & Thuy, Le T. & Valle Zárate, Anne, 2008. "Using choice experiments to assess smallholder farmers' preferences for pig breeding traits in different production systems in North-West Vietnam," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 184-192, May.
- Dalton, Timothy J., 2004. "A household hedonic model of rice traits: economic values from farmers in West Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 149-159, December.
- Ben B. Davies & Ian D. Hodge, 2006. "Farmers' Preferences for New Environmental Policy Instruments: Determining the Acceptability of Cross Compliance for Biodiversity Benefits," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 393-414.
- Jaeck, Melanie & Lifran, Robert, 2011. "The Economic Determinants of the On-farm Management of Rice Cultivars in the Rhone River Delta (France)," 2011 Conference, August 25-26, 2011, Nelson, New Zealand 115508, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Mélanie Jaeck & Robert Lifran & Hubert Stahn, 2012. "Emergence of Organic Farming under Imperfect Competition," AMSE Working Papers 1239, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Mélanie Jaeck & Robert Lifran & Hubert Stahn, 2012. "Emergence of Organic Farming under Imperfect Competition: Economic Conditions and Incentives," Working Papers halshs-00793671, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.