Measuring Environmental Performance of Irrigated Cotton Enterprises
AbstractIrrigation enterprises can be evaluated from a perspective of technical and environmental efficiency. This study determines the technical and environmental efficiency in irrigated cotton enterprises. This is achieved by investigating efficiency at cotton enterprise in the case study area of the Mooki Catchment, located in northern New South Wales. Deep drainage loss which contributes to salinity is considered as an environmental detrimental output. Using four different specifications of Data Envelopment Analysis relative efficiency rankings are determined for each agricultural area in the catchment. This result is then compared to biophysical characteristics from previous studies to help identify the particular features of an area which may influence outcomes that are both environmentally sound and economically efficient. With the identification of the most and least efficient cotton irrigating areas in the region, policymakers can construct a relative ranking system to best determine policy directions in order to achieve economic and environmental objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2008 Conference (52nd), February 5-8, 2008, Canberra, Australia with number 6004.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Cotton; Irrigation; Deep Drainage; Environmental Efficiency; Crop Production/Industries; Environmental Economics and Policy; Land Economics/Use;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2008-11-18 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2008-11-18 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENV-2008-11-18 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chakraborty, Kalyan & Misra, Sukant K. & Johnson, Phillip N., 2002. "Cotton Farmers' Technical Efficiency: Stochastic and Nonstochastic Production Function Approaches," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(2), October.
- Mika Kortelainen & Timo Kuosmanen, 2004. "Measuring Eco-efficiency of Production: A Frontier Approach," Econometrics 0411006, EconWPA.
- Reinhard, Stijn & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Thijssen, Geert J., 2000. "Environmental efficiency with multiple environmentally detrimental variables; estimated with SFA and DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 287-303, March.
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2005.
"Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-121, 09.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2003. "Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach," LEM Papers Series 2003/17, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1993. "Derivation of Shadow Prices for Undesirable Outputs: A Distance Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 374-80, May.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Philip W. Gassman & Manuel R. Reyes & Colleen H. Green & Jeffrey G. Arnold, 2007. "Soil and Water Assessment Tool: Historical Development, Applications, and Future Research Directions, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 07-wp443, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.