The Impact of Food Environment on Branded vs. Private Label Produce Choice
AbstractOver the past two decades, U.S. food retailers are providing more organic private label foods (PLs) which are directly competing with the National Brand (NB) products. From a policy perspective, an increased availability of high-quality PL products might provide consumers with a more affordable way to cover their produce consumption. Using a two-step Heckman selection model, we estimate the impact of purchase information, demographics, and food environment on the purchasing likelihood and expenditure shares of PL organic vs. conventional spinach. Results show that food context, most notably food availability, access, and adult obesity rate, significantly influences organic PL spinach choice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA with number 123197.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Brand Loyalty; Quality; Private label; Food Environment; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; I18; D12; R23;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-05-15 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-MKT-2012-05-15 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jayson L. Lusk & Kathleen Brooks, 2010. "Who Participates in Household Scanning Panels?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(1), pages 226-240.
- Dimitri, Carolyn & Greene, Catherine R., 2002. "Recent Growth Patterns In The U.S. Organic Foods Market," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33715, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Connor, John M & Peterson, Everett B, 1992.
"Market-Structure Determinants of National Brand-Private Label Price Differences of Manufactured Food Products,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 157-71, June.
- Connor, John M. & Peterson, Everett B., 1991. "Market-Structure Determinants Of National Brand-Private Label Price Differences Of Manufactured Food Products," Working Papers 116099, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Schroeter, Christiane & House, Lisa & Lorence, Argelia, 2007. "Fruit and Vegetable Consumption among College Students in Arkansas and Florida: Food Culture vs. Health Knowledge," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 10(03).
- Zhuang, Yan & Dimitri, Carolyn & Jaenicke, Edward C., 2009. "Consumer Choice of Private Label or National Brand: The case of organic and non-organic milk," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49207, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Dettmann, Rachael L. & Dimitri, Carolyn, 2007. "Organic Consumers: A Demographic Portrayal of Organic Vegetable Consumption within the United States," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7899, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anders, Sven & Ahmad, Waseem, 2011. "Private Label and National Brand Pricing and Promotional Strategies in Health Differentiated Product Categories: Canadian Evidence," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114223, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Heckman, James J, 1990. "Varieties of Selection Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 313-18, May.
- Lin, Biing-Hwan & Reed, Jane & Lucier, Gary, 2004. "U.S. Fruit and Vegetable Consumption: Who, What, Where, and How Much," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33699, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.