A Group Incentive Program For Farmer Adoption Of Best Management Practices: An Application To The Nitrate Pollution Problem In Central Illinois
AbstractThe paper demonstrates a group incentive program to encourage farmer adoption of best management practices. It is demonstrated that the best management practices may not actually reduce farm profits but may increase farm profits and reduce environmental pollution. This may bring about a win-win situation for sponsor, the farmer participating in the program, and the society as a whole. The results show that the farmers subjective beliefs about response of corn yields and profits to nitrogen application differ from the simulated responses which in turn results in the willingness-to-Accept for adoption best management practices significantly higher than the expected program payments. The program could be implemented as an educational effort to demonstrate the benefits of sound management practices for larger adoption in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN with number 21704.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
group incentive; adoption; best management practices; Environmental Economics and Policy; Farm Management;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randhir, Timothy O. & Lee, John G., 1997. "Economic And Water Quality Impacts Of Reducing Nitrogen And Pesticide Use In Agriculture," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 26(1), April.
- DeVuyst, Eric A. & Ipe, Viju C., 1999. "A Group Incentive Contract To Promote Adoption Of Best Management Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Keim, Russ, 1996.
"Incentive payments to encourage farmer adoption of water quality protection practices,"
24779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph C. Cooper & Russ W. Keim, 1996. "Incentive Payments to Encourage Farmer Adoption of Water Quality Protection Practices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 54-64.
- Baquet, Alan E. & Skees, Jerry R., 1994. "Group Risk Plan Insurance: An Alternative Management Tool for Farmers," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 9(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.